Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Replace antenna

Old 12-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Replace antenna

Howdy,

Just got my 2010 FX4 SCREW and it's a tight fit into the parkade every day. The radio antenna whaps every beam as I go by. I'd like to replace it with something shorter or retractable before it breaks off. Is this an easy job? Anyone suggest anything better that others? I still hope for good reception becuase I live in the country....
Old 12-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am also having the same problem.. i know they exit but i have never gotten pricing.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless they've changed since 06 the antenna simply screws into its base unit. Easy to remove and yes, you can replace them with shorter antennas - a wide variety available on ebay - and in various lengths. Search shorty antennas.

I changed mine out for a chrome 12" 'shorty' and reception was still fine. But (WARNING) the shorties - at least the one I bought - are not flexible like the OEM antenna. One trip too many thru the drive-thru car wash and my shorty broke off where it screws down INSIDE the antenna base. Now, I'm gonna have to change the entire base out. And I lost the antenna.

So if you replace it, look for flexibility in any replacement you get!

Retractable is a whole 'nother subject but they are out there and far more expensive and more difficult to install.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Lariat
Unless they've changed since 06 the antenna simply screws into its base unit. Easy to remove and yes, you can replace them with shorter antennas - a wide variety available on ebay - and in various lengths. Search shorty antennas.

I changed mine out for a chrome 12" 'shorty' and reception was still fine. But (WARNING) the shorties - at least the one I bought - are not flexible like the OEM antenna. One trip too many thru the drive-thru car wash and my shorty broke off where it screws down INSIDE the antenna base. Now, I'm gonna have to change the entire base out. And I lost the antenna.

So if you replace it, look for flexibility in any replacement you get!

Retractable is a whole 'nother subject but they are out there and far more expensive and more difficult to install.
Or maybe hand wash next time I understand that its alot of truck to wash I have a 2004 F150 Supercrew so yes i know its alot to wash but I think just taking the extra time and Hand Washing it pays off much better!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a black powdercoated stubby antenna also. Just dont drive through car washs do it by hand. Thats what I do! And they are real easy to install just screw it off and screw the new one in. I got mine from Amazon Warehouse Deals for 18 dollars shipped

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace antenna