Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Rear-View Mirror Rattle Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 05:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear-View Mirror Rattle Help

Looking for some suggestions..... After my system install I am getting rattle from the rear view mirror thanks to a pair of DD Audio 1508's. If I just touch the bottom side of the mirror it goes away. Any suggestions on a possible solution? Yes I understand I could turn the bass down but thats not what I'm looking for. Also FWIW I did zero sound deadening and besides the mirror there is zero audible rattle in the truck. I have a 2016 XLT SCREW. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-06-2018, 11:00 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Mizzle187211
Looking for some suggestions..... After my system install I am getting rattle from the rear view mirror thanks to a pair of DD Audio 1508's. If I just touch the bottom side of the mirror it goes away. Any suggestions on a possible solution? Yes I understand I could turn the bass down but thats not what I'm looking for. Also FWIW I did zero sound deadening and besides the mirror there is zero audible rattle in the truck. I have a 2016 XLT SCREW. Thanks for the help!
FYI- Vibration Dampener isn't for sound performance. That's a common misconception. MLV (mass loaded vinyl) is what is used for for speaker performance if you want to get specific. Metallic and butyl rubber sheets are for vibration dampening (also referred to as sound deadening). They deaden the vibrations caused by the frequencies produced by the speakers. By eliminating the vibrations transferred into structure and panels of the truck, you will eliminate or at least significantly curb the issue you are having with your mirror. Even if you don't have audible rattles, you are missing out by not having, at the least, vibration dampener.

The whole idea behind vibration dampener and mass loaded vinyl is to create an optimal environment for each speaker but it's also to protect the truck and its components. As a bone stock truck sits, without either of those two materials installed, you aren't even giving your speakers a chance and you will continue to run into the issues you are experiencing. Eventually, other items will break like side view mirror adjustments, sunglasses holder mechanism, etc. Vibration dampener will save your truck.

I recommend Second Skin for both of the items I mentioned here. Made in the USA and phenomenal customer service.
The following users liked this post:
Mizzle187211 (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the reply fadin...I realize that the main purpose of deadning is acoustics related but it also very much helps with vibrations and rattles. I have friends with some pretty gnarly systems that still have mirror rattle. These however are not F150s.I was curious this F150 specifically...has anyone taken these apart and added foam or deadening inside. Thanks again for any suggestions.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mizzle187211
Thanks for the reply fadin...I realize that the main purpose of deadning is acoustics related but it also very much helps with vibrations and rattles. I have friends with some pretty gnarly systems that still have mirror rattle. These however are not F150s.I was curious this F150 specifically...has anyone taken these apart and added foam or deadening inside. Thanks again for any suggestions.
People definitely have. You can drop the headliner and overhead control panel and lay deadener inside. It will help your mirror rattle. I am not saying sound deadener will stop the shake, but it will prevent or at least curb the mirror droop you described in your initial post.
Mizzle187211 (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
People definitely have. You can drop the headliner and overhead control panel and lay deadener inside. It will help your mirror rattle. I am not saying sound deadener will stop the shake, but it will prevent or at least curb the mirror droop you described in your initial post.

Thanks man! Sound Skin or similar is in my plans in the coming months when it cools down...will post my results. On that topic. Like I mentioned I am in a SCREW and running a component set up front amplified with FAST rings but stockers in rear doors run off of HU. My 2 amps and DSP are mounted to the back wall behind back seat. On that note Ive had system in for 2 or 3 weeks now and sub amp went into protection mode yesterday for the first time but it was 100 degrees outside and I was hammering it fairly good. I will be installing a Attwood Turbo 4000 12v blower to help. Just a heads up for guys running their amps on the back wall. I plan on Sound Skin for the headliner and front doors. Would you recommend doing Sound Skin on rear doors? I know the more the better but I never have rear passengers hence the stockers.
supercanadian (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 01:37 PM

I put it everywhere that i can in regard to doors and rear of the cab. It will also keep some of the heat off that back wall where your amps are mounted. Here are some pics of how I did my most recent install front and rear. Made a huge difference in just road noise alone.

BTW, HushCarAudio is the member on this forum that I order all of my materials from. Definitely recommend going through him.
Attached Thumbnails Rear-View Mirror Rattle Help-photo625.jpg   Rear-View Mirror Rattle Help-photo322.jpg   Rear-View Mirror Rattle Help-photo466.jpg   Rear-View Mirror Rattle Help-photo429.jpg   Rear-View Mirror Rattle Help-photo67.jpg  

Rear-View Mirror Rattle Help-photo543.jpg   Rear-View Mirror Rattle Help-photo740.jpg   Rear-View Mirror Rattle Help-photo335.jpg   Rear-View Mirror Rattle Help-photo127.jpg  
Old 08-07-2018, 02:49 PM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Dhmcfadin did it right!!

Man, I didn't even think about putting the HDPE on top of the MLV. That will definitely help hold the MLV there.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kanadian-kaos
Dhmcfadin did it right!!

Man, I didn't even think about putting the HDPE on top of the MLV. That will definitely help hold the MLV there.
It was a game changer for me. I hadn't used it in the past but it made the door panel much more solid and fit was tighter but in a good way. I can bang my fist all other that door I don't hear a single rattle or creak. Really impressed. The biggest difference was when I went through the brushless car wash. I had only completed the passenger side and the drivers side was still untouched. The difference in sound as the high pressure water passed each door was astonishing.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:39 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

Thanks for the shout out!!! The door covers look sick. I guess I'll have to get around to making the rears ones as well. Let me know if anyone wants anything.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:34 PM

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

There has to be a way to get it open and put something inside to stop the sound.

I have two sundown 10" in my XLT and the rear view mirror shakes so much its rendered useless when I am bumping. I have not noticed a rattle yet...or just can't hear it!

Quick Reply: Rear-View Mirror Rattle Help