Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Putting a kicker L5 / L7 subwoofer inside the center jump seat!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting a kicker L5 / L7 subwoofer inside the center jump seat!!!

Hey all, just wanted to share my ideas for putting a subwoofer in my truck. I have a 2006 supercrew F150. I have always been into loud sound systems, but there really isn't room for subwoofers in a truck (newsflash?) Anyways, a year or so ago, I build some crazy looking box that fit underneath the console in the rear and held a 10" L7. But it took up too much room in the backseat on the floor. I don't like the look of just a box sitting on a seat, or an entire seat being taken up by a big subwoofer boxes. I honestly think even the flush boxes under the back seat look bad. So, I figured I could put my 10" L7 inside of the center front jump seat.

So, I ordered a spare console off of ebay ($80), that way if I screwed something up I wouldn't be out of my original center console. Anyways, I stripped the console down to the frame... and I'll shut up now and upload the pictures of what I have so far. By the way... I decided to go with my 10" L5 instead of the L7 because it fit better in the frame... Pictures will show what I'm talking about. Check it out!!
Attached Images       
Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 PM

more pics
Attached Images    
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 PM

So far, I havn't had to do much modification to the frame. The L5 10" sub fits almost PERFECTLY. I cut the back support bar off of the frame with a dremal and drilled 3 holes on each side of the frame to attach the plywood sides to. The pictures show how bad of a caulking job I did, but everything will be covered up by the seat. Plans for tomorrow are to grind on the frame a little bit and come up with some way to seal the back part of the box. Theres a ton of little screw holes and curvy metal, and it looks like it might be a real pain in the *** to do, but I'll upload pictures as soon as I get any progress done. I'm planning on covering the top of the box with plywood and then cutting into the seat to make it fit on top of the box... and work as a usable seat. My main conern as of right now is that the bottom of the box is supposed to bolt to the floor, so I'm going to have to lift it at least 2" to keep the sub from hitting the ground. I'm hoping that the steel seat frame I took out when taking the seat apart makes the seat sit up higher and it will be close enough to flush. The idea for doing this is to make everything look as stock as possible. I don't want anyone to even be able to tell there's a subwoofer in my truck (unless you hear it of course )
Old 02-02-2013, 10:36 AM

Pictures not showing up or is it just my computer?
Old 02-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

i can see them. i look forward to seeing this finished
Old 02-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Thanks man, I'll definitely upload more pictures as I make progress on it.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Very cool! How much airspace will you be able to squeeze out of it?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 377 Likes on 229 Posts

Great idea man! I'm really interested to see how this turns out. I went the lazy route and just got a little 8" powered sub that went under the back seat .

Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 PM

There's wayyyy less air space than I thought. The box will end up with dimensions something like 14" x 10.5" x 8". I know its somewhere in between 0.6 - 0.8 cu.ft without the sub in it. That old box I had the L7 was TINY, and it still sounded pretty good. I'll try to get exact dimensions of the pieces before I cover it all up. And I almost ordered some 8" subs for the back seat. How does that sub sound? If I can find a spare reach bench seat, I'm going to try to cut into it and build a box halfway inside it for another 10" L5 I have
Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 PM

Didn't have any time to do anything today, got home early this morning and had to work all day. Took a few more pics though to show how perfectly the sub fits in the frame. I think I'm going to try to make the whole frame into a box instead of just building a box around the sub that's inside the frame. Hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow to cut on the frame a little bit and try to cut out some wooden sides... planning to poly-fill the box also. Anyways, here's a few more pics of what I have so far
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Putting a kicker L5 / L7 subwoofer inside the center jump seat!!!