Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Prototype Amp Rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Default Prototype Amp Rack

Well guys, I finally have all the details set for my audio upgrade. After months of back and forth, I finally found a combo I think I am going to like. I am chasing SQ over SPL. I went ahead and made an amp rack based around the dimensions of the components I'm using in conjunction with the space behind the seat. The ABS sheet I'll be using as an amp rack is 12x24 for size reference. I'm pretty excited to put this together and can't wait to hear it. It's a rough mock-up but its the best I could do with Microsoft Word. Things will be much cleaner, you wont see the wires. Let me know what you think! I appreciate any suggestions.

Components:
JL Fix 86
Morel MPS 4.400
Morel MPS 1.550
Fronts- Morel Tempo Ultra 602's
Rears- Morel Tempo Ultra Integra's
Subs- 2 JL Audio W3V3's

Last edited by dhmcfadin; 09-19-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
Well guys, I finally have all the details set for my audio upgrade. After months of back and forth, I finally found a combo I think I am going to like. I am chasing SQ over SPL. I went ahead and made an amp rack based around the dimensions of the components I'm using in conjunction with the space behind the seat. The ABS sheet I'll be using as an amp rack is 12x24 for size reference. I'm pretty excited to put this together and can't wait to hear it. It's a rough mock-up but its the best I could do with Microsoft Word. Things will be much cleaner, you wont see the wires. Let me know what you think! I appreciate any suggestions.

Components:
JL Fix 86
Morel MPS 4.400
Morel MPS 1.550
Fronts- Morel Tempo Ultra 602's
Rears- Morel Tempo Ultra Integra's
Subs- 2 JL Audio W3V3's

That looks like it will be an amazing set up!! I put Morel Maximos in my F150 and they awesome the Ultras should be insanely clean.

I need to build an amp rack you get started yet have any photos or information to add on installing the amp rack? I have a temporary rack made with MDF with similar dimensions and its very crowded. I am planning on rebuilding it soon as the weather gets better.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2018, 12:37 PM

I have some photos of the first variation I did and my current setup. I went with a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 which completely removes the factory song amp and DSP. My whole amp rack is now removable with 3 plugs and the power and ground wire. I have also since removed the passive crossovers and am now running an active network. Going active made a huge difference in itself. I have also replaced the morel amps with a more powerful AudioControl LC 6.1200. At 125 watts a channel in an active setup with a very basic tune, it sounds just beautiful. I don't have the sub amp yet or my box built but the midbass from the morel tempos is incredible! You absolutely should sound deaden! It makes a huge difference. I can't wait to do a full rta tune.

Future plans:
AudioControl 1.1500 for subs (hope to be releasing this week at CES)
3 x Skar Audio VD-10's

Once I get the rest of the equipment setup, I'll pull everything out again a build another amp rack that looks a little cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails Prototype Amp Rack-photo683.jpg   Prototype Amp Rack-photo780.jpg   Prototype Amp Rack-photo442.jpg   Prototype Amp Rack-photo813.jpg   Prototype Amp Rack-photo546.jpg  

Prototype Amp Rack-photo891.jpg   Prototype Amp Rack-photo493.jpg   Prototype Amp Rack-photo728.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by dhmcfadin:
14ECOBeast (11-11-2020), bryan_c (03-04-2018), Rey L. (01-11-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 01:45 PM

Does the AudioControl LC 6.1200 have a processor built in? Currently just my tweeters are on a passive crossover I was looking at buying a 6 channel amp to be 100% active but with the RF 3.6.3 and the RF Prime 500.1 there wasn't enough room as you can see from my photo. Those Morel amps are slick looking I am surprised they didn't get the job done.
How did you mount the ABS to the back wall? Did you buy the ABS with that bend for the bottom or DIY it? The covering on all your wires really gives it a clean look good job man!!!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by fa1321tx
Does the AudioControl LC 6.1200 have a processor built in? Currently just my tweeters are on a passive crossover I was looking at buying a 6 channel amp to be 100% active but with the RF 3.6.3 and the RF Prime 500.1 there wasn't enough room as you can see from my photo. Those Morel amps are slick looking I am surprised they didn't get the job done.
How did you mount the ABS to the back wall? Did you buy the ABS with that bend for the bottom or DIY it? The covering on all your wires really gives it a clean look good job man!!!
Thanks man. For the rack, I used a 24" x 48" ABS sheet and blow torch to bend it. It was super easy. ABS Sheet - .236" Thick, Black, 24" x 48" Nominal
Amazon Amazon

The lc 6.1200 does not have a built in dsp but the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 has a built in 360. processor. 8 channels, parametric eq's, the whole nine yards. It's pretty impressive for the price. I might add a stand alone AudioControl or Helix dsp as some point but it's doing the job for now.

The morel amps are pretty but the morel speakers really don't come alive until about 100 watts a channel in my opinion. 125 is a sweet spot. Zero harshness.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:48 AM

Thanks man. For the rack, I used a 24" x 48" ABS sheet and blow torch to bend it. It was super easy. ABS Sheet - .236" Thick, Black, 24" x 48" Nominal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YG53J4..._h7afo9ZxMZTp5

The lc 6.1200 does not have a built in dsp but the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 has a built in 360. processor. 8 channels, parametric eq's, the whole nine yards. It's pretty impressive for the price. I might add a stand alone AudioControl or Helix dsp as some point but it's doing the job for now.

The morel amps are pretty but the morel speakers really don't come alive until about 100 watts a channel in my opinion. 125 is a sweet spot. Zero harshness.
I read allot of reviews and people seem like the RF set up software better the Audiocontrol's but everyone is different. I picked my 3.6.3 up so cheap it was just luck that it kick ***** too.

I am really impressed with the RF 3.6.3 I used a RTA app with a inexpensive Dayton Audio iMM-6 mic to set up my truck. It may not be professional tuned but its the cleanest most balanced sounding system I have ever owned. I find myself jamming stuff I would of skipped passed before I installed it.

I used Forescan to set my speakers outputs to low level so I could run RCA's to my RF 3.6.3 can you do that with the Sony system or does the RF DSR1 only take speaker inputs?

I'm asking because my coworker has a 2014 Limited with the Sony system can the DSR1 be used to delete the Sony amp from his truck?

Last edited by fa1321tx; 01-11-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:55 AM

I read allot of reviews and people seem like the RF set up software better the Audiocontrol's but everyone is different. I picked my 3.6.3 up so cheap it was just luck that it kick ***** too.

I am really impressed with the RF 3.6.3 I used a RTA app with a inexpensive Dayton Audio iMM-6 mic to set up my truck. It may not be professional tuned but its the cleanest most balanced sounding system I have ever owned. I find myself jamming stuff I would of skipped passed before I installed it.

I used Forescan to set my speakers outputs to low level so I could run RCA's to my RF 3.6.3 can you do that with the Sony system or does the RF DSR1 only take speaker inputs?

I'm asking because my coworker has a 2014 Limited with the Sony system can the DSR1 be used to delete the Sony amp from his truck?
You'd have to check with Rockford on a 14 f150. The way the Sony factory dsp works is that it receives can bus and low level inputs from the headunit so no need to change anything in forscan. The DSR1 is ordered with its own harness called the f02. It plugs and plays with the factory harness in the back of the truck. The DSR1 communicates with the truck on a canbus/data level so it's not a high to low converter, it's a full blown ACM companion module. It also handles all of the factory chimes and notifications so you don't have to worry about overly loud alerts after amplification, the DSR1 handles that for you. From the DSR1 you get 8 channels of output via low level 4 volt rca's that go to my amps. Ch 1 and 2 and tweeters, channels 3 and 4 are front door speakers, channels 5 and 6 are rear doors, channels 7 and 8 are subs. Out of all the systems I've built, this one required literally ZERO soldering or splicing inside the truck! The only thing I soldered and heat shrank was when I was building the amp rack and installing ring terminals on my power and ground. By unplugging three harnesses and disconnecting power and ground, I can remove the the entire system and plug in the Sony amp/dsp/sub in about 15 minutes and everything is back to factory. That's the best part about it. It's the cleanest setup I have seen in an aftermarket radio installation. The DSR1 is a game changer for Sony amplified for vehicles.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:01 PM

You'd have to check with Rockford on a 14 f150. The way the Sony factory dsp works is that it receives can bus and low level inputs from the headunit so no need to change anything in forscan. The DSR1 is ordered with its own harness called the f02. It plugs and plays with the factory harness in the back of the truck. The DSR1 communicates with the truck on a canbus/data level so it's not a high to low converter, it's a full blown ACM companion module. It also handles all of the factory chimes and notifications so you don't have to worry about overly loud alerts after amplification, the DSR1 handles that for you. From the DSR1 you get 8 channels of output via low level 4 volt rca's that go to my amps. Ch 1 and 2 and tweeters, channels 3 and 4 are front door speakers, channels 5 and 6 are rear doors, channels 7 and 8 are subs. Out of all the systems I've built, this one required literally ZERO soldering or splicing inside the truck! The only thing I soldered and heat shrank was when I was building the amp rack and installing ring terminals on my power and ground. By unplugging three harnesses and disconnecting power and ground, I can remove the the entire system and plug in the Sony amp/dsp/sub in about 15 minutes and everything is back to factory. That's the best part about it. It's the cleanest setup I have seen in an aftermarket radio installation. The DSR1 is a game changer for Sony amplified for vehicles.
That is pretty sweet!! I had to slice, solder & heat shrink more than ever this time. Thanks for all the good information!!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:57 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

It may not be professional tuned but its the cleanest most balanced sounding system I have ever owned. I find myself jamming stuff I would of skipped passed before I installed it.
here are some suggestions if you don't already have them. whenever possible use the original cds, or hi res digital version (flac is my first choice, apple lossless if you have an iphone).

dire straights - money for nothing
michael jackson - almost anything but the double cd HIStory would be my first suggestion - he was the best producer of all time
eagles - hell freezes over (specifically hotel california and life in the fast lane for some surprising base)
bt - movement in still life (cd)
Old 01-11-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

That amp rack looks nice man. Very clean. That DSR1 is a nice piece. You will enjoy it. The software has a lot of problems with it and can be frustrating to work with, just an FYI, so be patient. The Morel’s are nice but are mechanically limited if not crossed over around 70-80hz. I have the same comps up front and they do sound very nice properly crossed over. I was hoping they would having similar mechanical limits and power handling to my Diamond S600s I have my explorer but they’re not in the same same league. They take a beating if I try to run them much lower than 70-80hz. I think they’re smoother than the Diamonds though and are less fatiguing- probably a little more natural. Overall you should be happy though. Just my experience if interested.