Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Pre-Outs on 2017 Lariat Head Unit?

Old 11-15-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pre-Outs on 2017 Lariat Head Unit?

Update, I have noticed that when I play music on my iPod versus Pandora that the sound quality is better, but the stock Lariat (non Sony) head unit and speakers are not as good as the Sony unit I had in my 2015 Explorer Limited; maybe an upgrade is needed; does anyone know if the 2017 Lariat head unit has RCA pre-outs for adding an amp?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

To the best of my knowledge no factory system has RCA pre outs. You can use a “hi-lo” converter to convert speaker outputs to RCA. Or get a full on converter. Depends how good you want it to sound and how much you want to spend.
The following users liked this post:
MaceWindu57 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 07:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It does not. You'll have to get some kind of line output converter, of which there are numerous options starting from $10 and going up over $1000 if you include DSPs as well.

Since the non-Sony has full range output on the front channels, something like
Amazon Amazon
will get you RCA connections that you can send into a four channel amp.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MaceWindu57
Update, I have noticed that when I play music on my iPod versus Pandora that the sound quality is better, but the stock Lariat (non Sony) head unit and speakers are not as good as the Sony unit I had in my 2015 Explorer Limited; maybe an upgrade is needed; does anyone know if the 2017 Lariat head unit has RCA pre-outs for adding an amp?
The short answer is no, there no RCA pre-outs.

The actual answer is - You can get there though! By using Forscan, you can switch the output of your head unit from High, speaker level, to RCA level. Cut the lines at the rear of the HU and solder on RCA jacks. Or, like I did.. solder on new wire at the HU, run it back to my processor and put RCA jacks on and plug it in.

SO.. yes, you can have low level RCA, it just takes a little work. EASY though.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:26 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by JKoop
The short answer is no, there no RCA pre-outs.

The actual answer is - You can get there though! By using Forscan, you can switch the output of your head unit from High, speaker level, to RCA level. Cut the lines at the rear of the HU and solder on RCA jacks. Or, like I did.. solder on new wire at the HU, run it back to my processor and put RCA jacks on and plug it in.

SO.. yes, you can have low level RCA, it just takes a little work. EASY though.
Got any more detailed guide on how to do this? I had no idea you could just solder on RCA plugs. I thought it had to be shielded cable.

Search this Thread