Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Pioneer Custom Head Unit Installation - diy

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer Custom Head Unit Installation - diy

Hello! I’m new to this forums and to F150 ownership. I installed a Pioneer head unit into my brand newish 2017 screw using PAC Audio’s RPK4-FD2201 installation kit.

I wanted to let people know I’ve had this installed since mid-December and so far everything is working great, including steering wheel controls.

The kit is about $500, but I was able to find an open box version on Amazon for $270. Everything plugs in. Not a single truck wire had to be cut.

I also installed new speakers, a sub, and a reverse camera. I’ll try to answer any installation questions if anyone has any. The truck came with only Sync. Installing this allowed me to pick an Apple Carplay head unit, as well as making it much easier to wire a subwoofer.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

nice job, but i seem to be missing the "custom" part. what exactly did you do?
Old 03-04-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I performed the installation using the PAC Audio kit. The kit comes with a different plastic centerpiece that replaces the piece in the dash. You have to remove the piece, unplug things, and transfer the circuit boards that control the ac to the new piece. The sync 1 screen is only 4 inches, so without this kit or a similar one, you won’t be able to install a din or double din unit into the dash.

Mainly, I was just wanting others to know that you’re not stuck with Sync 1 if that’s what your truck came with, and I thought if you have a 2017 model with Sync 1 that this kit, at least in my situation, worked.

Maybe I misused the word “custom,” I don’t know. This isn’t something you can even buy from Crutchfield. They actually don’t recommend attempting to replace the head unit at all. Here is what it looked like before (stock photo). I’ve installed my share of car radios, and I don’t think this is your average Geek Squad:

Last edited by StevenJTX; 03-04-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Ok. Thanks for the pictures. You did a good job.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Custom Head Unit Installation - diy