Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

pac aoem-frd24 question????

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pac aoem-frd24 question????

So I have no experience installing sound systems but I've added four kenwood 6x8s, dual jl audio microsubs and a kenwood xr900-5 5 channel amp to my truck. I just received the pac harness today that should allow me to just plug and play...or so I thought. I thought I had everything hooked up correctly but I am getting no power to the sub from the amp. The speakers work but they don't seem to be powered by my new amp either. The amp shows that it is powered on but I'm getting nothing. Is there a common error that people make when doing this or any ideas on what I could have wrong. Do the rca cables need to be plugged in specifically by front, rear, right left? Thanks for any help. I have a 2011 fx4 crew cab with sync but without the sony system.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by cdeb11fx4
So I have no experience installing sound systems but I've added four kenwood 6x8s, dual jl audio microsubs and a kenwood xr900-5 5 channel amp to my truck. I just received the pac harness today that should allow me to just plug and play...or so I thought. I thought I had everything hooked up correctly but I am getting no power to the sub from the amp. The speakers work but they don't seem to be powered by my new amp either. The amp shows that it is powered on but I'm getting nothing. Is there a common error that people make when doing this or any ideas on what I could have wrong. Do the rca cables need to be plugged in specifically by front, rear, right left? Thanks for any help. I have a 2011 fx4 crew cab with sync but without the sony system.
How do you have the rcas from the FRD24 hooked up now? Do you have new speaker wire running to your speakers from the amp? Do you have the turn on wire from the FRD24 hooked up to your amp?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
How do you have the rcas from the FRD24 hooked up now? Do you have new speaker wire running to your speakers from the amp? Do you have the turn on wire from the FRD24 hooked up to your amp?
I have the rcas running straight from the female ends of the pac unit to the amp. I was under the impression that the pac unit is what allowed the amp to get input from the speakers so I don't have speaker wire running from the speakers themselves to the amp. Do I need to run speaker wire from each of the speakers to the amp? This is all completely new to me so I apologize if this is a stupid question. And yes I do have the turn on wire hooked up. There's power to the amp...just no output.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 261 Likes on 163 Posts

In order to get the sound from the amp to the speakers, you need to run speaker wires from the amp to the speakers. All the PAC does is give you a plug and play option for RCA outputs on the stock head unit, as opposed to cutting and splicing in a line out converter.

You can run new wires from the amp to the speakers, or you can run wires from the amp and splice back I to the wires on the PAC unit. Option 1 would require you to pull the speakers and run the wires into the door. Option 2 would let you use the factory speaker wiring and would only require running the wires from the amp to the PAC unto an pulling the head unit. Less work, but you will have to know which wires to splice into, and which side if the cut wire to splice into. More room for error.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by bigred90gt
In order to get the sound from the amp to the speakers, you need to run speaker wires from the amp to the speakers. All the PAC does is give you a plug and play option for RCA outputs on the stock head unit, as opposed to cutting and splicing in a line out converter.

You can run new wires from the amp to the speakers, or you can run wires from the amp and splice back I to the wires on the PAC unit. Option 1 would require you to pull the speakers and run the wires into the door. Option 2 would let you use the factory speaker wiring and would only require running the wires from the amp to the PAC unto an pulling the head unit. Less work, but you will have to know which wires to splice into, and which side if the cut wire to splice into. More room for error.
Damn I was afraid that was my problem. I really don't want to take the door panels off so I think I'll go with option two if I can get all the wires figured out. One more question though, if I'm splicing in to the factory speaker wires, do I still need to run the rcas from the pac unit to the amp?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:35 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by cdeb11fx4
Damn I was afraid that was my problem. I really don't want to take the door panels off so I think I'll go with option two if I can get all the wires figured out. One more question though, if I'm splicing in to the factory speaker wires, do I still need to run the rcas from the pac unit to the amp?
If you want to use amp power to the speakers it has to get a signal from the rca's. If you ever want to sell the truck then I would leave the factory wiring alone and run new wire from the amp to the speakers. Taking off the door panels is easy and then you can put new speakers in while you have them off.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
If you want to use amp power to the speakers it has to get a signal from the rca's. If you ever want to sell the truck then I would leave the factory wiring alone and run new wire from the amp to the speakers. Taking off the door panels is easy and then you can put new speakers in while you have them off.
Alright maybe I'll go that route then. I've actually already installed new speakers so that's the main reason for me not wanting to tear the panels off again. It is pretty easy though so I agree that route would be better in the long run. So just to double check, I will leave the rca and pac unit the way I have it and simply run speaker wire from each of the speakers to the amp and I should be good to go?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 PM

Received 261 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, you will run the wires from the amp outputs to the speakers.

Regarding the splicing, you would not cut the factory wires. You can cut and splice the wires on the PAC unit. When time comes to sell, just remove the PAC unit an you are back to factory set-up. If you run wires directly to the speakers from the amp, when you get ready to sell the truck, you will have to either leave the amp and speakers in it, or pull everything and reinstall the stock speakers. Either way will work, you just need to figure out which direction you want to go.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 PM

Regarding the splicing, you would not cut the factory wires. You can cut and splice the wires on the PAC unit. When time comes to sell, just remove the PAC unit an you are back to factory set-up. If you run wires directly to the speakers from the amp, when you get ready to sell the truck, you will have to either leave the amp and speakers in it, or pull everything and reinstall the stock speakers. Either way will work, you just need to figure out which direction you want to go.
I was actually just about to ask if I could splice into the pac unit instead so thanks for mentioning that. As far as running wires go that would seem like my best option so I think I'll go that route instead. Thanks a lot for all your help guys. Like I said I'm completely new to all of this so there's a lot I don't know. Probably should have just had it done professionally but I wanted to save the money and I like doing things myself if possible. Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 PM

this correct you will not be cutting the factory wires just the pac wires. my bad

Quick Reply: pac aoem-frd24 question????