Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

OEM speaker replacements

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OEM speaker replacements

So over the holiday weekend I picked up a low mile 2011 FX4. I absolutely love the truck. However, I hate the sound of the stereo. It's horrible. My Pioneer 8400 stayed with the Titan when I traded it in, but I kept the sealed enclosure & amp that housed my dual 10's.

I've read that the stock stereo is actually pretty decent. With that said, I think I am going to replace the door speakers and go from there. I'm looking for recommendations as to what to replace them with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Also interested !
Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put in Infinity 680.9CS component speakers in my '13. Could not fit the tweeters in the stock location without a whole lot of grinding, so I did this:

...which sounds a lot better in the higher ranges (except when listening to Sirius, which sounds horrible no matter what). The Infinity's didn't do a whole lot for bass, though. Am running this on the stock radio (non-nav, non-Sony).
Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aa21830
I put in Infinity 680.9CS component speakers in my '13. Could not fit the tweeters in the stock location without a whole lot of grinding, so I did this:

...which sounds a lot better in the higher ranges (except when listening to Sirius, which sounds horrible no matter what). The Infinity's didn't do a whole lot for bass, though. Am running this on the stock radio (non-nav, non-Sony).

Name:  image-4169643971.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  95.3 KB

Dremel works wonders. Easy install and once you power them they scream! Enjoy.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by aa21830

I think I would have used the factory holes no matter how much work it took.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Corbin_Az
So over the holiday weekend I picked up a low mile 2011 FX4. I absolutely love the truck. However, I hate the sound of the stereo. It's horrible. My Pioneer 8400 stayed with the Titan when I traded it in, but I kept the sealed enclosure & amp that housed my dual 10's.

I've read that the stock stereo is actually pretty decent. With that said, I think I am going to replace the door speakers and go from there. I'm looking for recommendations as to what to replace them with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I used Kicker's in mine. Use a FRD24 adapter to wire in your sub amp. Plug n Play.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 539 Likes on 449 Posts

i have a frd24 PAC adaptor if you're in need of one. Plug n play like stated ^^ PM me if interested.

I would highly suggest running an amp to the door speakers to get the most out of them. Do it right the first time so you don't kick yourself and have to go back n do it again. Component set up front and coaxials in the rear, hell im just running a component set in the front doors (amped) and stock rears and its plenty IMO
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 187 Likes on 155 Posts

I know this has been asked, but would just replacing the OEM speakers only, each of the 4 doors and perhaps the tweeters too - result in better sound? Or do I absolutely need an amp for the speakers? I have the Sony system in a '13 FX4 with the stock woofer. TIA
Old 05-30-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terraformer
I know this has been asked, but would just replacing the OEM speakers only, each of the 4 doors and perhaps the tweeters too - result in better sound? Or do I absolutely need an amp for the speakers? I have the Sony system in a '13 FX4 with the stock woofer. TIA
If your going to spend the money on good speakers components you'll do them and yourself a dis-service by not powering them. Adding a line out converter will take care of the sound cutting at higher volumes. Take a look at Sony builds throughout the forum. Lots of helpful people.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by terraformer
Replacing the stock speakers and woofer will help.

Quick Reply: OEM speaker replacements