Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Noise Filters???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Noise Filters???

So I had my sound system done. I have 2 10" clarion shallow mount subs with a JL amp on the subs and a boss 1000 watt amp on the mids & highs. The bass sounds nice... not too loud but has a little thump! The only thing is that when I have the sound system on there is a annoying hissing sound and when I hit the gas it gets louder! The guy that did the install said that I needed a noise filter! For all of you audio guru's please let me know if this correct or if was too lazy to wire it the right way!!!! Thanks in advance!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Somewhere you have a power line too close to a signal cable. If he ran the amp power The same route as the line levels from your head unit, that can cause the problem. If you do not have a good ground on the head unit or the harness was poorly connected, it could also cause a hum.

Almost definitely a wiring problem. Noise filter will reduce, but will also flatten your signal... double check all connections are solid, no exposed wires, well grounded to the chassis, and power is separate from signal.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hobbes80
Somewhere you have a power line too close to a signal cable. If he ran the amp power The same route as the line levels from your head unit, that can cause the problem. If you do not have a good ground on the head unit or the harness was poorly connected, it could also cause a hum.

Almost definitely a wiring problem. Noise filter will reduce, but will also flatten your signal... double check all connections are solid, no exposed wires, well grounded to the chassis, and power is separate from signal.
Thanks Hobbes! I think he did run all the wires down the same side because when I move my feet around in the truck on the drivers side it gets weaker and stronger at times! So..... was this a LAZY attempt to run the wires??? And should I have him re-wire it the right so I don't hear that noise! Or should I get the $15 noise filter? I just want my music to be crisp! I listen to rap but when I have my girl in the truck she likes R&B and she dosen't like it loud and you can REALLY hear it at low volumes!!!! Thanks again for the input!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If it is all down one side then that is likely the problem, especially if he used low quality cables.

If he is asking you to buy noise filters it is just proving he is lazy... which is definitely true if he ran down one side only....

Pull up the carpet on the driver side and see if he just left excess coil by your foot... that would explain the change when you move your foot.

Frankly, I would pick a different installer to fix it... but if you can get him to fix it without him making it worse, then go back...
Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hobbes80
If it is all down one side then that is likely the problem, especially if he used low quality cables.

If he is asking you to buy noise filters it is just proving he is lazy... which is definitely true if he ran down one side only....

Pull up the carpet on the driver side and see if he just left excess coil by your foot... that would explain the change when you move your foot.

Frankly, I would pick a different installer to fix it... but if you can get him to fix it without him making it worse, then go back...
Thanks! But I'm a FIRM beliver in fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on ME!!!! I'm gonna go somewhere else! Even if I go to best buy or brandsmart and have it re-wired! I believe in quality and don't mind paying a little more!

Quick Reply: Noise Filters???