Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

New speakers, consistent problem with cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New speakers, consistent problem with cutting out

I replaced my stock front speakers with a set of Infinity Kappa 680.9cs component speakers.

They sound great but the front passenger woofer seems to fade out to nothing until a strong sound brings it back or you increase the volume. It sounds as if the wire going to the woofer from the crossover is bad as you can sometimes hear a bit of static before it cuts out or even the woofer is bad.

The main wire to the crossover is OK since the tweeter continues to function.

One would think I have either a bad crossover or bad woofer as I did. So I sent the original set back and bought a new set. Same exact issue with the new set. I even replaced all the wires going from the crossover to the speakers.

All the connections are crimped tight with spade terminals and you can shake and move the wires all day long and not hear any problems. Once the woofer is installed into the door it fades out and in at very random times. Sometimes I can go a few days with no problems. The one thing I have noticed is when I take a turn at speed, the speaker will fade out! Explain that!

So to sum it up, this is what I have done:

Replaced the entire speaker set with a new set (tweeters, woofers, crossovers)
Replaced all the wires from the crossover to the speakers.

Any ideas?
Todd
Old 05-30-2012, 09:21 AM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Interesting. Bump for ya.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2010-s...roblem-141346/
It might not be your work, especially after you double checked it like that. Our driver's door speaker does the same thing, apparently it's being experienced by a lot of people. I'll bet it is a quality control issue at the factory. When we upgrade the head unit, I'm going to have NEW wire run from the head unit to the speakers, I don't want to use the factory wiring & this is one of the reasons.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, thanks so much for that link. At least it's not just me now!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Been hearing a lot that water gets in the wiring harness in the door. Read a couple threads in the 09+ forums with people with water in their harness.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the EXACT same problem/results in my 09 SCrew, Todd. I also purchased a set of Infinity Kappas, front passenger was cutting in and out until finally silent - returned them for a new set to find the same problem. Assumed I didn't connect a wire securely so after bypassing the stock connector and crossover... Everything sounded great that evening (I even think it was louder after eliminating the crappy stock speaker connector) but after driving home from work the next day it completely went out again. I have had my head unit replaced twice already by the dealer too, before any speaker issues though.

I have noticed that if I set the Speed Adjusted Volume to 1 (or any number) the system will reset and change itself back to off. Anyone have similar issues?

Also, the last time my radio was replaced I remember the Service Advisor mentioned that if this [3rd unit installed] didn't fix things it meant there was a more severe wiring/electrical issue that would need investigation. But some other threads with speaker malfunction resulted in a loose ground wire so who knows - back to the dealership.

Quick Reply: New speakers, consistent problem with cutting out