Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

New Head Unit, Amps, Subs, and Speakers: Wall of Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:47 PM
MADDOG150

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default New Head Unit, Amps, Subs, and Speakers: Wall of Sound?

OK, I finally dove in head first, and I'm almost done.

My truck is: 2000 F150 XLT SuperCab.

My "System":
Jensen with 7 inch Flip Screen, VM 9214
Kicker L3 Sub with 150 RMS AMP
All New Kicker 6 x 8 Coaxial Speakers, currently powered by head unit.

I find that the sound is bottom heavy. I though that the head unit would be powerful enough to give me the upper 2/3 of my "wall of sound." But, NO JOY!

So, last night, I went to Best Buy and purchased a Kicker 4 way Amp: 75 RMS per each of the four channels. Ranging power from min of 300 to 600 watts.

Now, of course, I have to get the head unit out and rewire with speed wire to the second new Kicker AMP.

My hope and best estimate is: I now have plenty of the bottom third with the L3 Sub and 150 watts of RMS. And the New AMP will give me plenty of the middle third, but what about the top third? Having speakers elevated would make this happen, I do not know where to put speakers on the ceiling? Currently everything is in the 6 x 8 speakers, located near my shins and ankles.

Has anyone had this dilemma, and ended up finally having to custom install some cross over tweeters?

Or do you think powering up the door 6 x 8s will be enough?

I know the simple logic is: try it, and see. I"m trying to only have to do this one more time.

Anyone been down this road?

Jack

Last edited by JackFunTeach; 12-05-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:29 AM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JackFunTeach
OK, I finally dove in head first, and I'm almost done. My truck is: 2000 F150 XLT SuperCab. My "System": Jensen with 7 inch Flip Screen, VM 9214 Kicker L3 Sub with 150 RMS AMP All New Kicker 6 x 8 Coaxial Speakers, currently powered by head unit. I find that the sound is bottom heavy. I though that the head unit would be powerful enough to give me the upper 2/3 of my "wall of sound." But, NO JOY! So, last night, I went to Best Buy and purchased a Kicker 4 way Amp: 75 RMS per each of the four channels. Ranging power from min of 300 to 600 watts. Now, of course, I have to get the head unit out and rewire with speed wire to the second new Kicker AMP. My hope and best estimate is: I now have plenty of the bottom third with the L3 Sub and 150 watts of RMS. And the New AMP will give me plenty of the middle third, but what about the top third? Having speakers elevated would make this happen, I do not know where to put speakers on the ceiling? Currently everything is in the 6 x 8 speakers, located near my shins and ankles. Has anyone had this dilemma, and ended up finally having to custom install some cross over tweeters? Or do you think powering up the door 6 x 8s will be enough? I know the simple logic is: try it, and see. I"m trying to only have to do this one more time. Anyone been down this road? Jack
I'm with ya. I have 2 10's under the backseat, a set of coaxials up front and a pair in the back.. I'm missing the highs though. I tried adjusting my amp, playing with the EQ on my H/U, no luck to my satisfaction. May have to give in and install tweeters. Shouldn't be too difficult to put some in the A-pillars.
You could have better luck than I did, though, and be satisfied with powering up your 6x8s. I'm just picky
The following users liked this post:
JackFunTeach (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I came to the same realization as you guys, you need tweeters. In my 2011 Screw I originally had coaxials in all four doors and had the same sound you guys are experiencing. I then installed components in the front doors and mounted the tweeters in the door sails and what a difference. It now feels like I am in a theater with sound coming from everywhere.

One thing you may have an issue with though is just adding tweeters since your coaxials are pushing similar frequencies. You could of course disable those frequencies with crossovers or other less desired methods but I think the best overall sounding speaker would be a component system if you can still return those coaxials.

Hope this helps.

troutspinner
Old 12-06-2013, 04:20 PM
MADDOG150

I'm three quarters done. Troutspinner, I'm hearing...like night and day difference making that last move to get the top in?

If so, here's my last move: Just ordered 4 of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027RC7XM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027RC7XM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Each located as follows:
back two at the coat hangers ON the ceiling.
Front Two in the A Sail door.

Finally here's the powering scheme: 3 AMPS:

Amp 1.12: Square L3 Botton Kicker Sub, Low Pass Filter
Amp 2. 4 Channel Kicker 2 Ways Front, and 3 Triaxial Speakers...
Front Low Pall, back two No filter...gotta have mid range
Amp 3l: Front and back Tweeters, check it out...good deal that includes cross over
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027RC7XM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027RC7XM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Tweeter power same with 75 rms each, e....chest level. Low Pass Fileter.

Each of the three amps, low middle and high is 300 watts max exactly! Will see

Can my alternator and stock battery handle this much low end wattage use?

Jack
Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Jack, you are reading what I am saying correctly, it is night and day as the addition of components and the tweeters in the sails gave me separation and staging.

I think 4 tweeters would be going too overboard on the higher frequencies for you. I would just go with 2 in the sails up front and I think you'll be very happy with it.

As for power, your battery and alternator should be fine. There are guys on here who make my 600 watt system look like child's play and they seem to be doing fine.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 AM
MADDOG150

Originally Posted by troutspinner
Jack, you are reading what I am saying correctly, it is night and day as the addition of components and the tweeters in the sails gave me separation and staging.

I think 4 tweeters would be going too overboard on the higher frequencies for you. I would just go with 2 in the sails up front and I think you'll be very happy with it.

As for power, your battery and alternator should be fine. There are guys on here who make my 600 watt system look like child's play and they seem to be doing fine.

Correct. I have mocked up the only two tweeters for sound check. Two in the front (just lieing on the dash). NOW. Finally!!!! I have the real deal sound.

Jack

Quick Reply: New Head Unit, Amps, Subs, and Speakers: Wall of Sound?