Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

need some wiring harness help questions avid f900bt pioneer

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need some wiring harness help questions avid f900bt pioneer

ok so i have a few questions hopfully some stereo gurus can help answer.. first on my wires comming out of the unit what are the car speedsignal input and the reverse gear signal input for and do i need them ? second i am missing the wires white/white stripe for the front l speaker i believe and was wondering how to get new ones in there ..if i dont need the 2 aboved mentioned i can use those wires for the speakers if i can get them out with-out ripping them so what is the trick to pulling them out..if i need them what do the ends look like so i can get a couple wires for the speakers and would radio shack have some ?
the harness that connects to the wires on back i recieved from crutsfhiel doesnt have the pink or lavender reverse and car speed wires on it so im assuming i dont need them ?. also the harness from crutchfield has a solid blue and blue stripped wire while the wires from stereo only have a solid blue wire whats that about am i missing another wire from the stereo harness ? anyone please im lost ? thanx
here is the info /manual ect i found but still confused im not really a stereo guy but cant afford an install right now so have to DIY
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-F900BT
Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 AM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

"Car Speed" should match up to the VSS control... which is "Vehicle Speed Sensor"... so that it will increase volume as you go faster.

"Rear gear signal input" is to identify when you go to reverse so that a reverse camera can be signaled on your HU.

As far as the front speakers, they may not be the same color coming from your harness as they will be going to the Crutchfield harness (Which is probably a PAC harness) or as going into the truck.

What harness did you get? Can you give us the model number you are using and we can tell you what wires to use.... I hope you looked at the wiring diagram instead of just matching up colors... because they DO NOT MATCH UP and some of the wires coming out of the HU hitting the wrong cables coming from the truck can cause "unwanted issues".
Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I think the VSS is for the Nav units from all that I have read. It helps with accuracy of location.

So no you should not need those if you are not putting in Nav or rear camera.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No, VSS is not for nav units... it is about increasing the volume based on road noise... the assumption is that on the freeway, you will have a lot of road noise, wind noise, so the stereo will be louder. At a light, you don't want to be blasted out of your cab, so they turn it down.

Not all stereos support VSS... I personally hate it, but to each their own.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Umm, yes

"Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
In addition to the standard power and ground leads, remote-mount navigation (and even some in-dash units) systems connect to a vehicle's Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) wire. Your vehicle's cruise control uses the VSS wire to determine the vehicle's speed &mdash it serves the same function for the navigation system. (Don't substitute the tachometer signal wire for the VSS wire &mdash the tach signal wire sends pulses as long as the engine is running, even when the car is sitting still.) The VSS wire sends a series of pulses (from 800 to just over 1,000 per mile) only when the vehicle is in motion. If the VSS wire is not hooked up, the navigation system will not realize that the car is moving at all, and will be unable to track position"

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QDTnhUA...n_install.html

Here is where I got the info.

Quick Reply: need some wiring harness help questions avid f900bt pioneer