Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need some help on a double din install

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help on a double din install

Hi all,

I have searched and found many answers, but not the exact one I am looking for..

I want to replace my factory HU with a kenwood ddx371 double din, however every where I call I get some ungodly quote about a metra harness that is 199$???? To keep my steering wheel controls... This seems a bit high just simply to exchange head units.. Is there not a cheaper alternative or is this some FORD devil in the details crap?

My goal is a probox and 5 channel amp.. ( do I even need the new radio )??

Will this not work?
Amazon.com : Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Car Electronics

whats the diffrence than

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADSM...y.html?tp=3486

Last edited by Scar13; 07-03-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:25 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

You have the 4.5" screen? Sony upgrade?
If you do have the 4.5" then your options are severly limited. Assuming you have a 2013 Super cab but we need some more info than what you've given.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

These are currently you two viable options if I'm correct in my assumptions.

http://metraonline.com/part/99-5830B

http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/ins...stallation-kit
The following users liked this post:
Scar13 (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 03:45 PM

Thanks!!

Right now I have the base radio CD player no screen just the base radio and its a 2011

looks just like this
http://photos.msn.com/slideshow/phot...hotos/2cl1m0zg
Old 07-03-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Scar13
Thanks!!

Right now I have the base radio CD player no screen just the base radio and its a 2011

looks just like this
http://photos.msn.com/slideshow/phot...hotos/2cl1m0zg
The part they are quoting you is if you want to retain SYNC. You can use a basic wiring harness and the AXCESS for your steering wheel controls if you want to and not retain SYNC.
Have you changed out your door speakers yet. In my 2011 I changed the door speakers and added just a sub. Huge difference even with the stock HU.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
The part they are quoting you is if you want to retain SYNC. You can use a basic wiring harness and the AXCESS for your steering wheel controls if you want to and not retain SYNC.
Have you changed out your door speakers yet. In my 2011 I changed the door speakers and added just a sub. Huge difference even with the stock HU.
I have a 2014 screw and did the same thing....new pioneer 6x8's, JL Audio amp and 2 kicker 10's running off of factory HU. SOUNDS GREAT!!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:41 PM

jpadg, thats the route I think I am goign to go. I just wanted a little extra I dont feel I need a HU
Old 07-04-2014, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the big expense is, is the module on the harness to interface your steering wheel controls. Aftermarket radios won't have the interface built in, so you have to get it separately.

In most new vehicles, the factory amplifiers are powered by a command instead of a signal. The traditional way of turning an amp on and off with the car was the remote that acted like a switch. With the newer amplifiers, it's more like opening an application on your desktop, a switch can't do it. These aftermarket harnesses have a module attached that takes the power from the switch, turns it into the proper signal and turns the amp on, thus doubling the price of the harnesses. A lot of companies started doing this to make it easier to integrate the entire electronic system together.
The following users liked this post:
jpadg (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 07:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sixthcoma55
What the big expense is, is the module on the harness to interface your steering wheel controls. Aftermarket radios won't have the interface built in, so you have to get it separately.

In most new vehicles, the factory amplifiers are powered by a command instead of a signal. The traditional way of turning an amp on and off with the car was the remote that acted like a switch. With the newer amplifiers, it's more like opening an application on your desktop, a switch can't do it. These aftermarket harnesses have a module attached that takes the power from the switch, turns it into the proper signal and turns the amp on, thus doubling the price of the harnesses. A lot of companies started doing this to make it easier to integrate the entire electronic system together.
That's where the i datalink comes in...expensive piece of kit, but let's people keep their factory controls like back up cam, steering wheel controls, etc.

The12vguy said they're working on a cost effective dash kit, but software is in beta and harness is in production. Hopefully this helps us out!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by jpadg
That's where the i datalink comes in...expensive piece of kit, but let's people keep their factory controls like back up cam, steering wheel controls, etc.

The12vguy said they're working on a cost effective dash kit, but software is in beta and harness is in production. Hopefully this helps us out!
The OP has a 2011 base radio. There is already a cheap dash kit for it and you don't need to use the expensive harness to retain sync if you don't want to. Most new aftermarket HUs have bluetooth already built in. I had a 2011 just like his.
Also if he wants to use the factory HU he can use the FRD24 to plug n play the connections for a sub amp

Quick Reply: Need some help on a double din install