Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need Power For Amp Remote Wire From Stock H/U

Old 09-04-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Power For Amp Remote Wire From Stock H/U

I am installing an amp/subwoofer in my truck and I am using the stock head unit. I have everything wired up except I do not know what wire to use for my remote wire. Does anyone know what wire at the back of the radio will work for this. I have only found a constant 12V wire with my meter. I need one that switches on with the ignition. Please help ASAP since radio is already out.

2011 Lariat 5.0
Sync
No Navigation Or Sony
Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For me the only correct way to install a system is on a switch. I like to be able to turn on and off my system. You don't always want all the bass and the easiest way to remove it is to turn a switch off as apposed going into the radio functions and turning the sub down.

Your best bet is to find a keyed power source to supply the switch. That way if you forget to turn the switch off then the system will not stay on.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dixiescott
I am installing an amp/subwoofer in my truck and I am using the stock head unit. I have everything wired up except I do not know what wire to use for my remote wire. Does anyone know what wire at the back of the radio will work for this. I have only found a constant 12V wire with my meter. I need one that switches on with the ignition. Please help ASAP since radio is already out.

2011 Lariat 5.0
Sync
No Navigation Or Sony
Go to your fuse panel look for a switched 12 volt power there, I think fuse 38...
Old 09-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

The CAN BUS system that is used to power the factory radio doesn't really have a switched 12v that you would need for an amp remote wire.

As already stated, fuse 38 in the passenger side kick panel is the fuse you want to tap into. I went to AutoZone and got an "add a circuit" for a couple bucks. Make sure it is for the MINI fuse type and buy an extra 20 amp fuse or two.

This is what it looks like.

This will also leave the amp powered on as long as the stereo is on. In other words, when you turn off the truck, the amp will stay on until you open the doors like the factory system does.
The following users liked this post:
roxbury29 (04-17-2015)
Old 09-04-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by TJFX2EB
The CAN BUS system that is used to power the factory radio doesn't really have a switched 12v that you would need for an amp remote wire.

As already stated, fuse 38 in the passenger side kick panel is the fuse you want to tap into. I went to AutoZone and got an "add a circuit" for a couple bucks. Make sure it is for the MINI fuse type and buy an extra 20 amp fuse or two.

This will also leave the amp powered on as long as the stereo is on. In other words, when you turn off the truck, the amp will stay on until you open the doors like the factory system does.
I went ahead and bought this. I should have bought this in the first place. I have everything hooked up and I very happy. The stock system sounds much better with a subwoofer.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:23 PM

Old 09-04-2011, 11:28 PM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

That Punch amp looks like it did a tour in Iraq.
TexasVet (10-28-2020)
Old 09-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TJFX2EB

Its actually really annoying like this. because this leaves the amps on ALL THE TIME. this causes signal pop for me. really annoying. I wish there was a wire that was tied directly to the factory radio on/off button.
bryan_c (10-07-2020)
Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

2011 Lariat 5.0
Sync
No Navigation Or Sony
Use the PAC-OEMFRD 24. Plug n play install and remote power wire built in. What I used and works great.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry for digging up an old thread but am hooking up my amp this weekend. I am learning as I go here, isn't a 20a fuse kinda high for what appears to be a small remote wire? Also wondering if you guys remember which wires in the stock radio harness are the left and right positive speaker wires, my buddy told me to get a high level converter rather than a crossover and I need to find those wires. Lastly, I'm putting the amp under the passenger seat, any recommendations on where to ground the amp?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Power For Amp Remote Wire From Stock H/U