Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need Advice for a Newb

Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice for a Newb

I dont need anythign fancy, I am fine with the factory head unit on my 06 xlt. But, my speakers are sounding rough all of sudden. Personally I love ALOT of bass, but dont want to spend a bunch. I would love to be able to replace some speakers and add 1 or 2 subs under the back seat (supercab) with amps. I am not a sound snob, I just want a minimum factory sound plus extra bass for some massaging. What type of cost should I be able to do this for? Will I have to spend money on an aftermarket head unit for this or can I run nicer speakers + sub/amps with my head unit?

I just know so little that I would like a rough idea of what I can do to make things better(and what it would cost roughly), but I dont need anything all out and wont do it if it requires a ton of money. I am looking for such broad/generic thoughts here my searching resulted in squat. all to much detail.

thanks!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can go a so many ways on your generalization. I went with an after market head unit and upgraded door speakers. I added a single amp and a single 10. It sounds great for a budget build.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

You don't need a new head unit, or rear speakers. Here is my setup:

Head Unit: Stock Audiophile MP3/CD6 w/ Sirius
Harnesses: Metra 70-5520 (to truck), 71-5520 (reverse) - $15 Ebay New
LOC for Fronts: DavidNavone N-RHL2 - $30 DavidNavone.com New
Front Stage: Pioneer Premier TS-D720C 6.75" Comps - $120 Amazon New
Rear Stage: None
Sub Stage: Peerless 830876 10" XXLS Subwoofer 4 Ohm - $125 Part-Express.com - New
Sub Box: Qlogic Qcustom Sealed .65cf - $50 Local Used
Amp: Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X4R - 100Wx2 at 4 ohms to front stage - 300Wx1 at 4 ohms to sub stage - $200 - Ebay Refurb
Wiring: Knuconcepts Kolossus 4 Gauge 4 Channel Amplifier Installation Kit, Klear Kable Blue Speaker wire: 10 AWG - 3 ft and 12 AWG extra 20ft - ~$70 knukonceptz.com New
Total: $610 (Including Shipping and Taxes)

You could do a little less on the front speakers, sub, and amp on that setup.

You could do the Atrend dual 10 box, two 10" decent subs, and do a dual amp setup (single class d mono for the subs and a two channel A/B for the doors) for close to the same price if you shop around online.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, thanks, that is what I was needing. this gives me a idea of what to expect. ( I would have thought a budget plan would be <$300, maybe if I just added subs, but I am thinking my speakers might be getting rough since I run them at high volume/bass since I like to drive windows down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Advice for a Newb