Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need 5-channel amp recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:37 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Need 5-channel amp recommendation

So about a year and a half ago I bought a Fosgate P1000X5 and installed it. It has always been a hard hitter and really clean sound. I got into a minor auto accident and it stopped working, no idea why. It has power but will not come on. Remote wire is hot too. But no blue LED power light. I emailed Fosgate and they replied once with the idea that I basically reinstall it and see if it will work, it does not. I have emailed them twice since and gotten no response.

I have decided to replace it and while I would normally go with Fosgate again, due to their poor customer service I have decided to go with another brand. So, I need suggestions on brands of good amps. It has to be a 5-channel because I want to be able to connect it up, dial it in and go.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kommander
So about a year and a half ago I bought a Fosgate P1000X5 and installed it. It has always been a hard hitter and really clean sound. I got into a minor auto accident and it stopped working, no idea why. It has power but will not come on. Remote wire is hot too. But no blue LED power light. I emailed Fosgate and they replied once with the idea that I basically reinstall it and see if it will work, it does not. I have emailed them twice since and gotten no response.

I have decided to replace it and while I would normally go with Fosgate again, due to their poor customer service I have decided to go with another brand. So, I need suggestions on brands of good amps. It has to be a 5-channel because I want to be able to connect it up, dial it in and go.
I loved the Alpine PDX-V9 I had in my 2014. 100x4 and 500x1 for the sub, small footprint, and ran nice and cool.
The following 2 users liked this post by dan02gt:
Kommander (10-21-2017), Tyler L (10-07-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 05:51 PM

Location: Between the dark side of the moon and Knottinghamshire
Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts

The Alpine PDX-V9 recommended above is nice. Another alternative is the JL Audio HD 900/5 or the cheaper XD1000/5v2. I looked at all three and got an Arc Audio XDI850.5 which is good quality for the money.
The following users liked this post:
Kommander (10-21-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

x2 on the pdx. i have the first gen in one of my vehicles and the current version in my 150. small, powerful and looks great. it will do a good bit higher than rated power too.
Kommander (10-21-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the Kenwood XR900-5. Its a nice compact heavy hitter at 60 W x 4 and 600 x 1 at 2 ohms. Clean signal.

Honestly, a question like this will generate several different opinions. If you buy a top name brand you cant go wrong. Ultimately it comes down to whats your budget and what do you want your system to do....
Kommander (10-21-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Old enough to know better

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dan02gt
I loved the Alpine PDX-V9 I had in my 2014. 100x4 and 500x1 for the sub, small footprint, and ran nice and cool.
This ♤♤♤
Kommander (10-21-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 04:30 AM

Thanks for all the recommendations. I had narrowed my choices down to the Alpine PDX-V9, The JL Audio RD-900/5, or the Memphis Audio VIV900.5. However, I was leaning heavily towards the Alpine due to its size and the reviews it has garnered regarding running cool. I think this is the one that can be mounted upside down too, that is a huge plus since it is under my passenger rear seat.

I placed the order for the Alpine PDX-V9 just now. I will have it Monday. My dad is really good with electronics. I am going to give him the Fosgate to see if he can fix it since Fosgate won't even respond and this seems to be a common issue with that particular amp. If he can fix it, I guess I will keep it as a backup if something happens to the Alpine. If he can't fix it I am going to mail the pieces to Fosgate with a letter. Not that it will help.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I had laugh at your plans to "mail the pieces back to Fosgate". Don't these companies know you will mouth your pleasure or displeasure to friends and family? What a bunch of dopes!

QR
Kommander (10-21-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Big fan of the JL Audio RD amps. I've got their 5 channel in my truck and this thing is a hoss. I really like the clipping indicator too cause that makes it a lot easier to set the gains.
Kommander (10-21-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by QuickRick52
I had laugh at your plans to "mail the pieces back to Fosgate". Don't these companies know you will mouth your pleasure or displeasure to friends and family? What a bunch of dopes!

QR
And you can believe I will be sending it back in pieces. I'm a real *** when the mood strikes me or I find a soap box.

In high school I built my first system in a 1979 F150. Black. Kind of ironic since I have the same thing now but newer. Anyway, my amp of choice was an old Pyramid Gold Series and that thing might not have been the cleanest or most powerful but it was a workhorse. I bet it is still running in some kids Honda Civic with a NOS sticker on the whale tale spoiler. Yeah, I got a visual.

When I finally hit the big time I bought a 2005 Jetta GLI and built a system in that using 2 Kicker 12's and two Fosgate Punch 700S amps (One for each sub). That was a solid system. So I walked away from the car and the system with a good feeling about Fosgate. Growing up they were king of the audio world. If you had a Fosgate sticker on your car or truck, it was a sure thing it would get broken in to, and soon. I know that all kings eventually fall but I just knew they were still solid. I don't mind the busted amp but for that price I expect better customer service. Stand behind your product. If they had replied at all I probably would have replaced with with another Fosgate and just had a spare.

But, the Alpine was delivered today and I think I made the right choice. I work nights and am working now or I would be installing that beast. I can't wait to finally have sound in my truck again. these 40 mile drives to work in silence are killing me.