Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

NavTv Zen A2B

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NavTv Zen A2B

Greetings all. I have a NavTv Zen A2B device in my truck and have been having some issues with it. The people at NavTv have been helpful enough but I thought I would ask around to see if anyone has had similar issues.

I am using a Toslink cable from my Zen device to my JL Audio VXI amp. Everything sounds absolutely fantastic. About every 4th or 5th time I drive my truck I get no audio. I have to unplug the power to my Zen A2B device and plug it back in. Once I do that and the unit boots up, the unit starts working like it should. The nice fellas at NavTv, in helping me troubleshoot, have suggested that I try other Toslink cables. After trying 4 different cables (3 which were brand new) they are still saying it may be a bad cable. I went with the analog cables for a few days and everything seemed to work but I hate all the clutter so the Toslink cable is the way for me.

Anyone else have any issues like this? I have been using Toslink since the early 90s with everything from DAT players, Minidisk players, to newer run of the mill generic soundbars and have never had an issue. Even with old cables I pulled from a box in the basement.

Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

I used both RCA and Toslink and stuck with toslink. I have no issues. I did however hear from NavTV about 4 months ago maybe? There was an issue where the unit would have to be unplugged for it to work when you started the truck. They said it was a firmware issue but apparently that was resolved. There have been two hardware revisions since the release of the Zen A2B. Do you know what hardware version you have?

I originally used a super cheap toslink cable to test and then bought this cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUHWCPX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUHWCPX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I dont believe the cable is your issue. It's the Zen A2B. I would call them again and first mention this issue from the past and then explain that you have tried multiple cables and the result is the same. They are going to want you to send the unit back most likely.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
I used both RCA and Toslink and stuck with toslink. I have no issues. I did however hear from NavTV about 4 months ago maybe? There was an issue where the unit would have to be unplugged for it to work when you started the truck. They said it was a firmware issue but apparently that was resolved. There have been two hardware revisions since the release of the Zen A2B. Do you know what hardware version you have?

I originally used a super cheap toslink cable to test and then bought this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUHWCPX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I dont believe the cable is your issue. It's the Zen A2B. I would call them again and first mention this issue from the past and then explain that you have tried multiple cables and the result is the same. They are going to want you to send the unit back most likely.
Hey thanks for the reply. I don't think its the cable either. It seems like an issue with the initial negotiation. I also have the latest firmware since I needed to turn down my chime and I believe that is a function of the newer firmware. It's interesting that you mention a previous issue with these units that is similar to the issue I'm having. Neither Derek or Moni mentioned that although their engineer did ask me what hardware version I had. Since I had just gotten it (a couple weeks ago) I figured it was the newest since I bought it directly from them.

Hmmm.

Last edited by Rutherk1; 11-15-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:56 PM

If you got it from them a couple of weeks ago, you have the latest hardware!

I just realized that I am not running the latest software. I'm updating now and will test over the next couple days to see if I experience the same issue as you with toslink. If I experience it then we can both go to NavTV. Also, if I experience, we can test reverting back to the older software and see if that solves the problem.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:56 PM

Another question, do you have any dip switches enabled?
Old 11-15-2018, 02:57 PM

Very nice. Its good to hear from someone else that can try a few things. I do appreciate it. Now that you mention it, this was only an issue after the newest update so I am anxious to see your findings.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2018, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
Another question, do you have any dip switches enabled?
As for the dip switches. I was just looking at their manual online and it looks like it was just updated and says with 3.0.12 firmware that the dip switches are no longer used. I think my dip switches are how they came. I know I have the loudness off. That may have been the only change I did.

Last edited by Rutherk1; 11-15-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rutherk1
As for the dip switches. I was just looking at their manual online and it looks like it was just updated and says with 3.0.12 firmware that the dip switches are no longer used. I think my dip switches are how they came. I know I have the loudness off. That may have been the only change I did.
I have all dip switches off. Just started it up for the first time with the new software and its working so far. Ill let you know later this evening how things go.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:02 PM

I appreciate it. From the manual it seems like the DIP switches no longer do anything but I'll switch them to OFF.

Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:58 AM

So I've had the newest software installed since I last posted and am running toslink. I have not had to unplug the unit at all. Sound is present every time I start the vehicle. The new adjustment interface is really cool!

Sounds like you might have a bad unit. Since you said the unit doesn't boot up properly, I don't think it's a handshake issue with the JL amp.

Last edited by dhmcfadin; 11-18-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: NavTv Zen A2B