Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Navigation Choice: Advent vs Rosen vs Other

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Navigation Choice: Advent vs Rosen vs Other

Hi, I just purchased a (new to me) 2011 Ford F-150 XLT with factory Sat radio and Sync. I've been reading a lot of forums posts and it seems Advent is the winner based on my needs:
  • Keep as factory as possible
  • Ease of installation
  • Using all steering wheel controls and sync
  • Keeping factory sat radio

I was about to pull the trigger when I found out that it doesn't play video from iPhone 5, which seems like a deal breaker given I'd like to be able to have the kiddo watch a movie while we're driving.

My questions:
  • Does Rosen or other units satisfiy my requirements above and play video from iphone 5?
  • Is there a workaround for Advent that would run video through USB?
  • Has anyone had experience with Rosen, Mainstream (Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc) or other nav systems?

Thanks, I've been tearing through as many forum posts as possible and wanted to get a definite chain going for my needs so I can make a decision next week.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a Advent in my 2012 it was very good, I have an android phone so I couldn't tell you .....
Old 08-09-2014, 01:38 PM

Can anyone help me set my gps. I have a 2010 lariat f150.thanks my email is: avogeljoe@yahoo.com
Old 08-09-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by laxman1100
Hi, I just purchased a (new to me) 2011 Ford F-150 XLT with factory Sat radio and Sync. I've been reading a lot of forums posts and it seems Advent is the winner based on my needs:
  • Keep as factory as possible
  • Ease of installation
  • Using all steering wheel controls and sync
  • Keeping factory sat radio

I was about to pull the trigger when I found out that it doesn't play video from iPhone 5, which seems like a deal breaker given I'd like to be able to have the kiddo watch a movie while we're driving.

My questions:
  • Does Rosen or other units satisfiy my requirements above and play video from iphone 5?
  • Is there a workaround for Advent that would run video through USB?
  • Has anyone had experience with Rosen, Mainstream (Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc) or other nav systems?

Thanks, I've been tearing through as many forum posts as possible and wanted to get a definite chain going for my needs so I can make a decision next week.
Does anyone know if Rosen plays video from an iPhone 5?
Old 08-09-2014, 10:37 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

You might want to email your question to:
techsupport@rosenelectronics.com
Old 08-26-2014, 09:08 PM

Default Iphone 5 Video Playback?

Are there any systems that support this? I'd still like to buy Advent. But for this much money, I'm having a hard time believing it can't happen
Old 08-27-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by laxman1100
Are there any systems that support this? I'd still like to buy Advent. But for this much money, I'm having a hard time believing it can't happen
I think you will have to go to a dedicated after market HU and faceplate to play video from the iphone 5
Old 08-27-2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
I think you will have to go to a dedicated after market HU and faceplate to play video from the iphone 5
That's what I'm trying to avoid. I like the factory aspect of the Advent...all I want is the ability to play video from an iPhone.

I'm hearing of a new product launching in a few months for the 2013. Has anyone heard of this? Will it be compatible with the 2011?
Old 10-01-2014, 10:25 AM

Default Follow Up: Went with Advent and it's awesome!

Love the interface; very easy and intuitive. The unit installation was fairly straightforward. They sent me the wrong FM antenna, so I had to go buy a Ford adapter for the unit, but otherwise, it was fairly seamless.

The unit plays video that is stored from iPhone 4, but does not stream from netflix, Youtube, etc. However, there is a fix:
  • Select "iPod" and search for videos using the Advent
  • Once the video is playing, go to Netflix, Youtube, etc
  • This should "trick" the unit into using the streaming video on your unit.

The trick above leads me to believe it's a software fix that could happen with firmware...not sure why Advent hasn't done this yet.

A few things lingering that I would love help on:
  • Volume from different sources very different; FM is loud, but iPod & XM quieter by comparison. Is there a way to change volume by input?
  • Backup camera; does the blue wire behind provide 12+ to power the camera?. Once I install, I'll report back.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Really good unit; just need to get a few things sorted out.

Quick Reply: Navigation Choice: Advent vs Rosen vs Other