Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

My combination...so far

Old 11-29-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Default My combination...so far

First, I want to make clear that the music I listen to is not 'bumpin' stuff. 60's thru around '04 stuff, rock, blues and contemporary jazz mostly. I wanted to put up the combination of what components I've upgraded to in my truck that has spanned most of this year. So, I'll list them:
  • JL Audio MicroSub+ ACP108LG-W3v3 powered sub behind rear seat. Optional 'tone control' mounted in center console drivers 'pocket'.
  • Infinity Primus PR 9613is 3 ways mounted in front doors
  • Infinity Primus PR 6512is 2 ways mounted in rear doors
  • Infinity Ref-3032cfx mounted in center dash
  • Infinity Reference REF-375TX 3/4" Tweeters mounted in 'A' pillars
  • JBL Stadium 4 100W x 4 Car Amplifier mounted behind rear seat on back wall
I'm going to 'baffle' the door speakers at some point. It's something that never came to mind when I was researching the door speakers. Wish I had known better then.
I've been looking into the DSP thing and I'm not sure how it would work with coaxial speakers and with the JBL amp I installed, it has enough 'crossover' adjustments to do the job so I don't blow up the tweeter and midrange frequencies with the wrong signal although I think some of the 'gadgetry' of some of the DSP's I've looked at are way cool. I could be wrong about this as I'm no expert in DSP's.
I'd like to think about the notion of a adding a stand alone equalizer but, I really haven't run across one that doesn't also involve a DSP. Maybe someone could explain why I am so wrong in my thinking about a DSP.
So far, I'm enjoying what I've done so far. Just not sure about other enhancements that could be added to this point. I told myself I wasn't going to go crazy with this stuff but, it's been so much fun to do, I don't want to stop. The other thing I like about doing this is the ease it is to hide anything that's been done so far. Any other areas I can look into that hasn't been mentioned?
Old 11-29-2018, 04:31 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

I'm fairly certain your setup sounds really good as is. Unless you feel something is lacking I wouldn't mess with it. I've seen many try using a DSP and then after playing a long time with it thinking it actually sounded better without one.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

The following users liked this post:
MDXLT (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 04:48 PM

Thanks.I was already thinking the DSP thing would be a bit much and I agree that it would just lead to a lot of never ending tweeking. It does sound pretty nice as is but, I didn't want to overlook something that may be useful.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:48 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

I agree with Hush
MDXLT (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I felt the same way about DSP's until I went through Andy's (AudioFrog) tuning procedure. I can't believe how much better mine sounds after going through the process. It's tuned with an RTA, not a subjective ear. Worth considering. I am sure happy I did.
MDXLT (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 06:31 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Get rid of the center speaker and get a DSP
MDXLT (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by slodat
I felt the same way about DSP's until I went through Andy's (AudioFrog) tuning procedure. I can't believe how much better mine sounds after going through the process. It's tuned with an RTA, not a subjective ear. Worth considering. I am sure happy I did.
Since I know pretty much nothing about DSP's, I took you up on reading about Andy's procedures and found it to be very interesting although I'm not sure I understand everything about it. I guess it would easier to understand if I actually has a DSP to mess with. I read about 3/4s of what he had up to the point of using the AudioFrog program.

What DSP are you using and did it come with the AudioFrog program or was that a separate purchase? Does AudioFrog have their own DSP?
Old 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by doug97gxe
Get rid of the center speaker and get a DSP
You know, I was thinking already about disconnecting the dash speaker to see if it made any kind of difference. I'm certain the speaker will be disconnected if I should decide that a DSP would be used. What DSP do you have and Does it have programming for set up?
Old 11-30-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLT
Since I know pretty much nothing about DSP's, I took you up on reading about Andy's procedures and found it to be very interesting although I'm not sure I understand everything about it. I guess it would easier to understand if I actually has a DSP to mess with. I read about 3/4s of what he had up to the point of using the AudioFrog program.

What DSP are you using and did it come with the AudioFrog program or was that a separate purchase? Does AudioFrog have their own DSP?
Andy has his tuning microphone setup on sale for $150 through 12/1, tomorrow. https://testgear.audiofrog.com/ It uses a free RTA program.
I have a JL VXi amplifier with a built in DSP. There's a DSP that's popular on here for under $200 if I remember correctly.
MDXLT (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLT
You know, I was thinking already about disconnecting the dash speaker to see if it made any kind of difference. I'm certain the speaker will be disconnected if I should decide that a DSP would be used. What DSP do you have and Does it have programming for set up?
I have the AudioControl DQ-61 .. its **** based vs software based .. mine is a LOC and DSP in one

Originally Posted by slodat
Andy has his tuning microphone setup on sale for $150 through 12/1, tomorrow. https://testgear.audiofrog.com/ It uses a free RTA program.
I have a JL VXi amplifier with a built in DSP. There's a DSP that's popular on here for under $200 if I remember correctly.
dayton 408 dsp
MDXLT (11-30-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My combination...so far