Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Multi-Conductor Cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Multi-Conductor Cable

I have a 2012 Screw w/nav and premium sound...I'm adding a processor in line after the factory Sony amp and am looking to simplify the wiring.

Here's my question: only the doors/tweeters and sub are being replaced and powered w/new amplifiers. When choosing a multi-conductor cable, do I have to account for all of the factory speakers or just the ones I'm swapping out? Put another way, should the center channel and rears run into the processor as well, even though they're still to be powered off of the factory amp?

Processor will be either the Audiocontrol LCQ-1 or JBL MS-8, if that matters; Cleansweep being looked at as well.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 09-17-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by lakers08
I have a 2012 Screw w/nav and premium sound...I'm adding a processor in line after the factory Sony amp and am looking to simplify the wiring.

Here's my question: only the doors/tweeters and sub are being replaced and powered w/new amplifiers. When choosing a multi-conductor cable, do I have to account for all of the factory speakers or just the ones I'm swapping out? Put another way, should the center channel and rears run into the processor as well, even though they're still to be powered off of the factory amp?

Processor will be either the Audiocontrol LCQ-1 or JBL MS-8, if that matters; Cleansweep being looked at as well.

Thanks,

Dave
Not going to work very well if you use it after the factory amp. They are made to go in line before the amp. I think the Sony amps have the crossovers built into them.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No, they're supposed to be installed after the factory amp (as per install pdfs). As well, I don't think that there are internal x-overs; Ford apparently did something else to keep the tweeters only running the highs. I've seen it mentioned in a couple of threads.

Any idea then on the right multi-conductor wire (9, 10, 12, etc)?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Cool

Originally Posted by lakers08
No, they're supposed to be installed after the factory amp (as per install pdfs). As well, I don't think that there are internal x-overs; Ford apparently did something else to keep the tweeters only running the highs. I've seen it mentioned in a couple of threads.

Any idea then on the right multi-conductor wire (9, 10, 12, etc)?
Actually Ford put some funky crossovers in the amp that is corrected with the JBL MS-8. They also probably use a capacitor on the tweeter to keep the highs out. The JBL MS-8 can be used either way. With low level from the head unit or high level from the factory amp. It has a small 18 watt amp built in it. I guess I am saying that if it were me I would use the outputs from the head unit instead of the high level amp inputs. It is never good to amplify an amplified source. After all that I don't have any info on the multi conductor wire. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Multi-Conductor Cable