Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Maestro and why the need to keep Sync

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maestro and why the need to keep Sync

So I've been trying to decide which head unit I want to get to replace my factory one in my 2012 F150 SCrew and I've been looking at the Maestro since before it came out to go along with picking up one of the newer Kenwood models. My question is, what does retaining Sync really get me? The fact I don't have to install a new mic for the new head unit? For those of you who decided to go this way, what were your reasonings for wanting to retain Sync? Are there any real benefits? Thanks in advance for your answers and help in making my decision as to which new stereo I'd like to go with.

thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I went with the 690HD and maestro because I wanted to keep the functionality of Sync because what I use it for it works very well. Phone calls are crystal clear and listening to music on my iPhone sounds great too. Retaining all the steering wheel controls was important to me as well. I didn't even remove the mic that came with the head unit from its packaging. And for a bonus I can see the actual pressure of all 4 tires without having to get out of the cab. And if it throws an engine code...I'll be able to look it up right when it happens.
The following 2 users liked this post by Largefarva:
12V Guy (05-14-2013), fightingmajor (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am interested to see what the display looks like on the Kenwood when routing my iPod through sync. Right now I have the usb2 mod and I love they way sync indexes my music. If the display on the Kenwood is nicer when using the receiver to play my iPod through and it indexes as well as sync, I might use the receiver for tunes and sync for phone. I am ready to pull the trigger on a Kenwood and Maestro but I want to know I am getting a HUGE upgrade before spending a HUGE amount of money.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Someone else will have to chime in on the iPod use and how the head unit handles it. If I recall correctly, you would need a special Kenwood cable to use the head unit to control your iPod. I would imagine that if you use Sync and use the Sync USB port then it would function just the same as what you have now.

One thing I do like is that using the USB to listen to music on my iPhone 5 is that I can actually use the phone to change songs, artists, playlists, etc. Before with the stock head unit all I remember is when I would try to use my phone for that, my phone would be display the external control message and I would have to use Sync voice commands to play a certain song etc. Who knows every title to every song in their playlist? Or even artists for that matter? I don't have a lot of music (just 3-4 gig) and I don't have that much memorized....I couldn't imagine someone with 10 times the music I have.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:09 PM

Right now I use the buttons on the stock radio to search by artist and then pick from an album. I downloaded the "syncmyitunes" program and it has all my music (32g) organized nicely. It is so easy to hit the menu button and then search by artist, then choose from that artist's albums. I rarely use the voice commands unless I just want to hear a specific song. The only downside I can see with the maestro is you have to use a compatible Kenwood which are expensive (DNN & DNX series). I just want to get a DVD receiver, not a GPS receiver.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 AM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by zeke7142003
Right now I use the buttons on the stock radio to search by artist and then pick from an album. I downloaded the "syncmyitunes" program and it has all my music (32g) organized nicely. It is so easy to hit the menu button and then search by artist, then choose from that artist's albums. I rarely use the voice commands unless I just want to hear a specific song. The only downside I can see with the maestro is you have to use a compatible Kenwood which are expensive (DNN & DNX series). I just want to get a DVD receiver, not a GPS receiver.
You can still do this within the Kenwood screen connected to sync. It is even nicer than what you have now as you can see 5 list items at a time. However, when you add the Kenwood receiver there is no need to choose between one USB or SYNC. You can use both without any problem at all.

Best,
Old 05-15-2013, 09:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Do the non factory units still control the climate? For example heated and cooled seats? In my 2013 it's the only way.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 12V Guy
You can still do this within the Kenwood screen connected to sync. It is even nicer than what you have now as you can see 5 list items at a time. However, when you add the Kenwood receiver there is no need to choose between one USB or SYNC. You can use both without any problem at all.

Best,
Thanks. I wish I could see a video of it in action so I know what I will be getting.

Quick Reply: Maestro and why the need to keep Sync