Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Looking for switched power lead.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 11:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for switched power lead.

I just bought a new,2016, F150 XL regular cab, 2wd. It has the factory stereo with cd and sync. I have successfully installed my ham radio and a Sirius portable unit with the fm direct adaptor. What I need now is to find a source of switched 12 volt power so I will not have to have a plug in the 12 volt socket. I would like to hook into the fuse panel that is located in the passenger side kick panel. I bought some of both sizes of the piggy back pins that go in with the fuse. What I really need is to hear from someone who has found a switched , unused position, in this panel and would be able to tell me which ones may be switched. Less than an amp so any one will do. There are many unused positions and places where my basic truck does not have those options.I just don't have my 20 year old back anymore to lie down in the floor for prolonged periods to test. I am 63 now and you youngsters that are reading this, take care of yourself. TIA, Rick.
The following users liked this post:
tennisfam4 (02-22-2019)
Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Is your 12V in the dash switched? If so, I'd just splice it for less than an amp. Unless your running a higher power inverter through the dash outlet, you probably won't ever have an accessory more than a couple amps on it.

Otherwise, does your owners manual have a standard fuse diagram (if not download one from ford's site)? You can either find an item that would be switched (rear 12V maybe) or use a relay off of a dash switched circiut and pull from an always hot.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:20 AM

Default Looking for switched power lead.

My 12 volt outlets are always active. I would prefer to not tap in to an active line due to the complex nature of the wiring once it leaves the fuse. There are many shared circuits. It probably would not hut a thing to piggy back like you suggest but as luck might have it I would have a problem and they may kick on the warranty. I have less than 300 miles on the truck. I am going to try the moonroof circuit as I do not have that option. Still looking for someone who has been down this road to save my back. I will post some pix and info on one of the other topics detailing my ham radio installation and pix of the outside. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:23 AM

Oh, just got the old grey matter going with my second cup of java. My truck had a coin holder to the left of the radio/temp control . There was a plug with wiring attached to the back of this panel when I pulled it out. What is this for and might it be a switched 12 volt source ?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

either the 4x4 switch or the trailer brake. on my truck the trailer brake was the lower of the two.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by DXnomad
Oh, just got the old grey matter going with my second cup of java. My truck had a coin holder to the left of the radio/temp control . There was a plug with wiring attached to the back of this panel when I pulled it out. What is this for and might it be a switched 12 volt source ?
Sounds like a job for a 12V test light!
Old 03-16-2017, 03:11 PM

Default Found it !!!!!!

Man, learning new stuff everyday. Just discovered three pin fuses. Things have come a long way from my 95 F150. I play with electronics almost everyday but seldom new automotive . To share my discoveries the plug attached to my coin holder which some said was for trailer brake control has no wires big enough for even one amp. It must be a control line. So I used my vom and the little fuse taps and finally found a switched fuse. It was number 21-22. Plugged into the middle pin and wala, just what I needed. This fuse controls the power seat,which I do not have, and the humidity sensor. It is located down on the bottom of the interior fuse panel. My thanks to all who replied. I hope to post an introduction soon with some pix.