Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Looking for some help/critiques

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for some help/critiques

Ok, here's the rundown. I'm a lurker for the most part, but I just came into some cash to make my truck sound better. I want a system that will focus on sound quality, but not break me. I've fallen in love with a local shop, and a salesman but.... their prices make me cringe. I'm not trying to cheap out here, but I'm trying to keep it reasonable. I'm working with an 07 F150. When I was at the shop, here's what we came up with for a possible setup. If I order stuff online, I want to do it only through MFR approved vendors so I don't get stuck with gray market/inferior products.

Now onto the goodies:

Kenwood DDX616 H/U, XM adapter, and ipod adapter- I'm pretty set on this one after a lot of research, but hey, I'm open to suggestions too

RF T152-S components for the front stage
RF T1682 6x8 for the rear fill

Kenwood eXcelon XR-5S amp to power both speakers/sub

Kenwood KFC-XW1200F sub because of space concerns in the truck cab

Does this sound right/reasonable? I know there are multitudes of opinions on this, but it sounded great when I had my hands on this combination earlier.

Also, where does everyone order their equipment from? I found that sonicelectronix is a kenwood approved dealer, but I would love to find the best bang for my buck in this situation.

Thanks everyone for looking.
-BDR
Old 12-31-2010, 07:30 PM

anyone?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:59 PM
~Dot

I don't know a whole lot about stereo installs and stuff but I do know that Crutchfield is pretty much the best place to order from. They are mfr approved on everything they sell, plus when you buy the headunit they give you the wiring harness, adapter kit, step by step instructions, and 24 hour tech support for free. Plus they always have some sort of deals going on where you can get something free with the purchase of something else. I am an avid crutchfield shopper and LOVE their customer service, prices, etc.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Skip the shallow sub and put a full size 10 in.
I'd pass on the RF stuff, opinion of them has seriously gone down hill since they became the Best Buy brand. Also, bump up to 6.5s or 6.75s

Google shopping with the model number is normally the best way to find the lowest price for any audio items.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i buy most of my stuff from sonicelectronix. my sub was a 400 dollar sub on crutchfield and in stores. and dont get me wrong, i love crutchfield. but its just ridiculous when i can get the exact same sub for 270 on sonicelectronix.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:15 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have my eye on that same HU... on "outlet.crutchfield.com" they are selling refurbished for less than they are going on eBay... they are sold out right now, but you better believe I'll be on that when they have some in stock again.

5 1/4s sound just fine, you'll get more volume out of 6s... but you may have to make room.

I'm assuming you are doing shallow-mount sub because you're going under the seat with it?.. . full mount sub will give you more articulation for more airflow, which will fill the cab more... but honestly, the shallow mounts are not THAT bad and if the box is matched to the sub, it makes it real nice... check out the MTX Thunderform boxes for custom fit boxes.