Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Looking to replace factory speakers. Please guide me.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Auto-illiterate.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Looking to replace factory speakers. Please guide me.

I've recently come to realize that the factory speakers on my 2003 F-150 SuperCrew just aren't cutting it. As I spend more time on long highway trips, I've found that the speakers can no longer compete with the wind and that they only give so much power and clarity. Since I work at Circuit City, we get accommodations on certain car audio brands, I figure it's the best time to buy. Problem is, I don't know jack, except from what others have told me.

I'd like to replace the 4 door speakers and the radio (headunit?). I don't want a subwoofer or anything like that, just louder, more clear sound.

I found these on Polk's website:

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mmc570/

Do I need an amp for these? Also, how do I go about picking out a new radio? I'd like it to have CD and MP3 (not necessarily iPod) capability.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u shouldnt need an amp for those speakers. u could add a small 4 channel but id try it without it first. the aftermarket head unit should be plenty. as goes for which head unit to buy. iv bought several brands and always go back to the pioneer. they seem to last forever and never have problems with them. their features compete with the most expensive head units out there. what ever u do dont buy a dual, a phase linear or any other off brand. they are cheap for a reason.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had good experiances with my kenwood headunits, I have never had problems with them.

I would stay away from the infinity speakers unless you are going to add a amp, mine sound like poo.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I like Kenwood and Pioneer head units. A small amp with a built in crossover is not a bad idea. If you are not looking to compete a 200 watt amp will do fine. 50 per channel.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:33 PM

i wouldnt spend 200 bucks on the polks... thats just my opinion but i just ordered two sets of infinity 6x8 kappas with an amp to power them correctly for $260... my girlfriend has infinity reference speakers in her truck (reference arent as good as kappas) and her truck sounds great but mine will sound better! one set of 6x8 kappas are $79.00 and i found a power acoustik amp thats a 100w rms x 4 for $119.00, i cant wait for them to get here so i can put them in.. as for head units im not too sure, i havnt bought many of those, i just ordered a power acoustik head unit though, im sure ill be happy with it, ill tell you how i like it when it gets here
Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Auto-illiterate.

After accommodations from Polk, through my job, 4 speakers only cost me $151. Thank God, because my budget is smaller than a pinto.

Are they going to have to take up my center console and take out any of my seats?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:45 AM

if you dont put an amp in they shouldnt have to tear apart your truck, just simply pull the door panel off and replace stock speakers, if you want to save money just do it yourself, i pulled my front door panel off today in less than 5 minutes.. they might recommend you replace the speaker wire but if you dont get an amp then you shouldnt really have to..
but if you get an amp then they have to tear your dash apart, drill holes in your firewall, rip your door panels off, (depending on the location of your amp) they might take out a seat or 2... if they do everything right they might even pull up some of your carpeting... it sounds like a lot to do but its fairly simple, it just takes some time, if you dont care about loosing your hearing then i would go with an amp.. if you just want nice softer sound (still way better than stock) then just replace stock... actually let me look at those speakers b4 you get them.. ok good they are 4 ohm so it will work perfect without an amp..
if you want them to sound better but without getting an amp then i would suggest an aftermarket head unit so you have a little more power to your speakers and you can adjust and equalize a lot better

and i cant say dont get those speakers especially since you get a discount
you wouldnt be going wrong with them, i just prefer really loud over just loud so thats why im getting an amp.. lol
Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Those speakers wont sound right without an amp. They are designed to be pushed.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Auto-illiterate.

Even though I work with them, I'm not sure how good/careful my store's Car Audio dept. is. I wish I could hear the speakers w/o an amp first just to avoid the possibility of damage to the truck if they F up.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:08 PM

lol if you have the store install it and you pay for it, then if they break anything or screw it up they should be responsible for whatever was damaged and should have to fix it for free.. if you dont pay for the install then idk what would happen...
it is true that the speakers are made for an amp but they are also made to be used without one, it just wont be as loud or hit as hard..
what year of truck do you have and type (extended/crew/single)?? maybe you could get someone on here who has the same year to guide you through it yourself so you dont have to go to the installers lol

like ive said before, if you want it to sound good then dont get an amp. if you want it to sound great then get an amp

with amp: more power to speakers, sounds better, you have a lot more to install, a lot more time, your truck has to be taken apart to a point, drilling holes through firewall, connecting directly to battery, a lot ore money, dont expect anything much less than an extra $100 for an amp plus wiring, you have to upgrade speaker wire, you need an aftermarket headunit to run it right.. ect.

without an amp: it sounds good but not great (still way better than stock, they wont crap out on you at high volumes), you dont have to replace the headunit (although it would sound even better if you did) you need to remove the door panels and replace the speakers then put the door panels back on and your done...

see waaay easier to do it without an amp... the only thing you gain with an amp is power to the speakers which makes them louder...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to replace factory speakers. Please guide me.