Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Larger speaker in rear doors

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Larger speaker in rear doors

I am thinking about installing some Focal speakers in my front doors of my 2014 F150. I was thinking about trying to find a little larger speaker for the rear doors, even though I would probably need to fabricate a mounting plate. That is not a problem for me. I was thinking maybe a 6 1/2 might give me a little more low end.

I was wondering if anyone had done the same thing. I would like to get a little more bass from my radio. I am going to put the Alpine KTP445U amp behind the stock head unit. I don't want to add a sub because I want all of my floor space when I fold up my seat.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2015, 12:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Focals

I had Focal Auditor R-570C all around in my last truck ('04 SCAB) and moved a pair to the rears of my '14 SCREW. I think they are really weak at the top end (though I prefer a really sparkly top-end) and not great at the low. I added a Kicker Hideaway to the SCAB and was pretty happy.

Not really happy, though. I put Focal PS 130 V into the fronts on the '14, the R-570C into the rear, moved the Hideaway over and now I'm really happy. If I cared about the rears more, I'd find some tweeters and a cross-over. The sub is also cranked super low as the backseat was super boomy.

A friend recommended Focal and I went with them. If I did it again, I would have checked out the Infinity line as people seem to really love them. However, it's clear to me the move is to put the right audio range to the right speakers at the right power level. Anything else will leave you hanging.

You didn't mention whether you were screw or scab. A hideaway fits nicely behind the seat on the screw. I tucked an Alpine 300w back there as well, which drives the Focals.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have screw, thanks
Old 12-01-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

If you want more bass you need a sub. Tuck one behind the rear seat.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Rear stage is generally useless/unheard in a situation with an upgraded front stage. If all you are looking for is some added bass, there are a few companies that make 6.5 inch subwoofers that, in theory, you could add into the doors. But at the same time, one of these small 6.5's wouldn't take up a lot of space under or possibly behind the seats.

Sundown Audio makes a pretty nice 6.5 inch subwoofer, the X-6.5SW. 300w rms, 15mm of excursion, 4 inch mounting depth. Going to run either 1 or a pair in my pickup off a Sundown 1000d
The following users liked this post:
Wyo11Scab (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 04:04 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Go with components up front, and coaxials in the rear!
Old 12-04-2015, 11:08 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by boom50cal
Rear stage is generally useless/unheard in a situation with an upgraded front stage. If all you are looking for is some added bass, there are a few companies that make 6.5 inch subwoofers that, in theory, you could add into the doors. But at the same time, one of these small 6.5's wouldn't take up a lot of space under or possibly behind the seats.

Sundown Audio makes a pretty nice 6.5 inch subwoofer, the X-6.5SW. 300w rms, 15mm of excursion, 4 inch mounting depth. Going to run either 1 or a pair in my pickup off a Sundown 1000d
6.5 sub in the rear doors would not be a good idea. You need an enclosure for a sub and it is virtually impossible to build one within the door.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:42 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by king nothing
6.5 sub in the rear doors would not be a good idea. You need an enclosure for a sub and it is virtually impossible to build one within the door.
Did you not read my post?

"In theory"

And no, all subwoofers do not need enclosures. The door could, again, in theory, act like an infinite baffle setup. And with a good deadening job, in theory, you could seal the door up to act like an enclosure.

With enough time, anything is possible. I also specifically noted that the 6.5 woofer I mention, could fit in a small enclosure, in a small space.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by boom50cal

Did you not read my post?

"In theory"

And no, all subwoofers do not need enclosures. The door could, again, in theory, act like an infinite baffle setup. And with a good deadening job, in theory, you could seal the door up to act like an enclosure.

With enough time, anything is possible. I also specifically noted that the 6.5 woofer I mention, could fit in a small enclosure, in a small space.
We aren't talking about theory. Were talking about an actual application in a truck. Sure, you could "in theory" deaden the doors and seal them off well enough to to give you a reasonable approximation of an infinite baffle install. In practical application you would need to completely seal the door cavity off from the cab (easy) and completely, or almost completely, seal the door cavity airtight. Contrary to popular belief an Infinite baffle install DOES require an enclosure. It just usually uses a large one, like the trunk

TLR In theory, you are right. Practically your theory won't work well

Quick Reply: Larger speaker in rear doors