Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kicker PF150SC15 powerstage install/review

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Kicker PF150SC15 powerstage install/review

I just finished installing the Kicker PF150SC15 powerstage in my brand new 2016 F150XLT Super Crew.

There is currently only 1 video I found useful on youtube posted by Eric Robinson for this install:

My variation from this video is that I did not completely disconnect my center console. I only disconnected the two bottom connectors, left the top two connected, and just folded the center console piece up and let it rest on top of my dashboard center speaker. Also, I only needed to remove the CD player from the console, and not the 8" touchscreen.

I was completed in under 3 hours start to finish. The sound quality was great, and the factory speakers sounded WAY better. But take my advice, spend the extra $150 or so and replace those factory speakers. You've already spent $1200, so why get cheap now?

After a single day of driving, it was evident that the factory speakers would not handle the additional power when turned up loud (25 volume). Keep in mind, I am a 45 yr old listening to country, not a young kid bumping hip hop, and I had to back the volume down due to speakers sounding like they were about to blow. I decided to head over to Best Buy to grab some replacement speakers. I ended up buying Kicker CS65 (6.5" for rear) and CS693 (6x9" for front). This cost me about $145 total. I then headed home to install.

Here is the speaker wiring for 2015-2016 F150:
Left Front = White +, White/Brown -
Right Front = White/Violet +, White/Orange -
Left Rear = White/Green +, Brown/Yellow -
Right Rear = Brown/White +, Brown/Blue -

I found the following youtube video for door panel removal:

After installing the new Kicker speakers, my sound system sounds completely AMAZING! This is a truly night and day difference in sound quality from leaving the factory speakers installed. Everything is crystal clear and powerful, no matter how loud you turn it up. This is far and away the best sounding system I've ever had in a vehicle, and absolutely nothing is visible or situated in a way that takes any space.

Overall, this product is well worth the money. The fit and finish is superb.
The following 2 users liked this post by jtribefan:
H2OFSU (04-01-2016), marknga (04-01-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am probably going the same route you did.

Can you tell a difference not having the component speakers in the front?

A friend of mine upgraded his door speakers on his GMC and put in regular speakers instead of component. The sound was better, but it felt like it lacked something. Wasn't sure if it was the tweeters no longer working in the A pillars.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review, makes me excited to get mine installed today (and thanks for the speaker replacement recommendations). I am curious though, do you by chance have the 2.7L engine? I'm hesitant to install it on my because I do, and I keep reading about potential issues with the voltage drop when the engine stops.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:23 PM

Great info! Kicker recommends not updating the factory speakers as the DSP is tuned specifically for the stock speakers. I agree that the stock speakers probably can’t handle the extra power, but I’m not sure I want to risk making them worse by replacing. Can you confirm there was actually an improvement with the VSS after upgrading the factory speakers?
Old 06-16-2018, 04:12 AM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the full soundstage in my 2011 and used infinity reference speakers all around. I can't imagine the stock speakers sounding better with the DSP you get.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:20 AM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

For $1350 you could get a really nice system. I'm happy for you but damn that's a lot of money. If anyone is considering this upgrade please PM me first.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by HushCarAudio
For $1350 you could get a really nice system. I'm happy for you but damn that's a lot of money. If anyone is considering this upgrade please PM me first.
I haven't been able to piece together components for $1350, it's closer to $1800 in my area. For me personally, the attraction of the Kicker system is that it's completely hidden. I wish somebody made a custom-molded subwoofer enclosure only that would fit that same space, then we could use our own components. I've talked to my local stereo shop and they won't build a custom box to fit that space, everything goes under the seat, and myself, I'm not willing to give up that space. Thunderforms could win big on that one.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

An Alpine KTP 445u with the Parrot Harness is 1/2 the price of the kicker amp and sounds good! I have the Alpine in my truck, it's compact and with the Parrot harness all plug and play! If you use Forscan you can enable low level/line level output from your ACM into the Alpine for the best sound quality. As for the sub, get a Kicker hideaway and put it behind the rear seat, then make your own harness to use the factory sub output.

Quick Reply: Kicker PF150SC15 powerstage install/review