Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kicker hideaway vs Kicker VSS

Old 12-10-2018, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kicker hideaway vs Kicker VSS

Just picked up a 16 platinum and looking to add a subwoofer of some sort. I don't need anything ridiculous, just something to fill the absence of bass. I had the old VSS system in my 14 Raptor and it was perfect, but I'm hearing the newer versions aren't nearly as good. Looking for some feedback on adding something to my truck that I would be satisfied with.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

the thought process is always i don't need something that will rattle my truck or break my windows, however choosing a sub is so much more than that. First we must understand SQ and SPL. SPL is what rattles your windows and people can hear you coming from a mile away. SQ is sound quality where you can here the detail of the bass notes, your volume could be set at 2 or 3 and you could still hear detailed bass notes. To retrofit a Kicker Hideway is going to be spending way more money that what you need .. meaning you can have much better options for the same price or less. I understand most people want the OEM look and also alot of people choose to pick something that the manufacturer went with originally because you trust that the manufacturer made the ultimate choice in choosing a subwoofer

That being said, maybe have found the Kicker hideway to be weak and not enough. If you are still interested in getting the hideway there are many threads on this, seems the cost maybe about $600-$800

https://www.google.com/search?q=inst...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If you are open to other options.. let us know we can shoot many options with the right budget in mind
Old 12-10-2018, 03:41 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

^^^^ that was sound advise right there.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 322 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by doug97gxe
the thought process is always i don't need something that will rattle my truck or break my windows, however choosing a sub is so much more than that. First we must understand SQ and SPL. SPL is what rattles your windows and people can hear you coming from a mile away. SQ is sound quality where you can here the detail of the bass notes, your volume could be set at 2 or 3 and you could still hear detailed bass notes. To retrofit a Kicker Hideway is going to be spending way more money that what you need .. meaning you can have much better options for the same price or less. I understand most people want the OEM look and also alot of people choose to pick something that the manufacturer went with originally because you trust that the manufacturer made the ultimate choice in choosing a subwoofer

That being said, maybe have found the Kicker hideway to be weak and not enough. If you are still interested in getting the hideway there are many threads on this, seems the cost maybe about $600-$800

https://www.google.com/search?q=inst...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If you are open to other options.. let us know we can shoot many options with the right budget in mind
Great advice. However, the kicker hideaway costs less than $300 for the sub and wiring harness. The price point is good for what it is IMO.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You're confusing the hideaway work the OEM kicker system. The hideaway can be had for under $200, and is decent. It's what I did, and don't regret from an SQ perspective.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kicker hideaway vs Kicker VSS