Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kicker/Ford OEM Powerstage Door Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kicker/Ford OEM Powerstage Door Speaker Question

Just got my F150 Lariat Screw, and obviously the stock sound is not up to par. The Ford OEM version is definitely the obvious route to go as it's easy to find it much cheaper than the Kicker retail version. My question lies with the 4 door speakers that come with the Ford version. I've heard that the DSP/amplifier is tuned for the stock paper speakers. With this in mind, would it still sound better installing the 4 aftermarket speakers provided, or would it be too bright given the a-pillar tweeters and the tweeters on the kicker speakers themselves? If anyone has experience with the powerstage system both with and without the kicker door speakers, please chime in.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An ebay vendor stated the pillar tweeters would be disconnected with this setup. I'm unsure if the eBay vendor from Ford was certain. No mention of tweeters being active or not mentioned in similar threads.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:47 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by babytank
Just got my F150 Lariat Screw, and obviously the stock sound is not up to par. The Ford OEM version is definitely the obvious route to go as it's easy to find it much cheaper than the Kicker retail version. My question lies with the 4 door speakers that come with the Ford version. I've heard that the DSP/amplifier is tuned for the stock paper speakers. With this in mind, would it still sound better installing the 4 aftermarket speakers provided, or would it be too bright given the a-pillar tweeters and the tweeters on the kicker speakers themselves? If anyone has experience with the powerstage system both with and without the kicker door speakers, please chime in.
Do you have a Sony setup in the Lariat?
Old 04-22-2015, 08:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the PowerStage but mine didn't come with the door speakers. I would suggest using them in the rear, selling the ones for the front, and picking up a set on components for the front.

Having the A pillar tweeters functioning properly raises the sounds stage and make the music sound like it's coming from all around you not just your feet. As far as the stock A pillar tweeters and the Kicker Door speaker making your sound to bright I don't think that will be the case as in stock form I could barely hear my A pillar tweeters.

Here's a thread I made on the Kicker PowerStage setup a little while ago that may be of help:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/kicker...e-mods-292062/
Old 04-23-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Do you have a Sony setup in the Lariat?
I do not. I have the navigation without Sony.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by dan02gt
I have the PowerStage but mine didn't come with the door speakers. I would suggest using them in the rear, selling the ones for the front, and picking up a set on components for the front.

Having the A pillar tweeters functioning properly raises the sounds stage and make the music sound like it's coming from all around you not just your feet. As far as the stock A pillar tweeters and the Kicker Door speaker making your sound to bright I don't think that will be the case as in stock form I could barely hear my A pillar tweeters.

Here's a thread I made on the Kicker PowerStage setup a little while ago that may be of help:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/kicker...e-mods-292062/
Solid advice. Thanks man. And solid thread link too.

I probably won't install components. Then I would have to run new wires and find a place to mount the crossover, etc. I've done it before, but its just not worth it to me with the lack of free time I have.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Solid advice. Thanks man. And solid thread link too.

I probably won't install components. Then I would have to run new wires and find a place to mount the crossover, etc. I've done it before, but its just not worth it to me with the lack of free time I have.
Your factory tweeters will still be connected if you just change the door speakers. They are wired off the main door speaker with a CAP to keep the lows out of them.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Your factory tweeters will still be connected if you just change the door speakers. They are wired off the main door speaker with a CAP to keep the lows out of them.
I installed the system and used the new speakers and upgraded my tweeters with kicker kst20 they really added more detail to the sound, I am hearing fine detail in music that I did not notice with the stock ones.

Quick Reply: Kicker/Ford OEM Powerstage Door Speaker Question