Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kenwood/Maestro ?????'s

Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 PM
DTH

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Kenwood/Maestro ?????'s

I'm getting ready to install a Kenwood DNX890HD with Maestro in my 2012 XLT/XTR with sync and have couple of probably dumb questions.
Does the orange/white wire (dimmer control) from the HU harness connect to the orange wire (parking light) on the maestro harness ?
For reflashing I'm not sure what I have. Idalink serial cable or wired remote input.

Last edited by DTH; 05-20-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:07 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

#1 Yes

#2 You should have the cable which is a 4 pin to 4 pin cable along with the separate 3.5mm cable on both ends....it's the idadalink serial cable
Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 AM
DTH

Thanks Largefarva
Are talking about the short usb cable used for flashing the unit ? if so now it makes sense to me. I thought they were referring to the unit and wireing, like said in my post that I some dumb questions.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:45 AM

Which cable are you referring to?

If you're asking about the 3.5mm cable....it's the one that has what looks like a headphone jack on both ends.

The 4 pin cable I'm talking about has really small ends on it with only 4 pins on each end...all in a row.

The USB cable I think you're referring to is just for the head unit. Like you said....for flashing it etc.

Or you're talking about the USB cable with the normal end on it on one side and smaller end on the other side which plugs into the maestro. That cable is just for hooking up to your computer so you can flash the maestro. It doesn't get used during the actual install.

Last edited by Largefarva; 05-20-2013 at 05:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
12V Guy (05-29-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM
DTH

I have everything under control for now. I had to call teck support since i couldn't install the required plugin to do the flash, they help me out a bunch. Prob won't do the acctual in stall till next weekend when i have more time so hopefully goes without a hitch. Does anybody have any advice to avoid probs they ran into ?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:55 PM

All I can think of right now is that if you got the SXV200 SiriusXM tuner you can technically use the stock Sirius antenna (if your truck has satellite radio already) but the connection will be extremely loose and you will have to use tape to hold it on. I would recommend installing and using the antenna that came with the SXV200 tuner instead...it fits nice and snug.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 PM
DTH

One more question and I'm sure there'll be more. Do I unplug the usb cable from the original display (most upper part of dash) and plug it into the maestro unit or not ?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 PM

I'm not sure what you're asking, but I will have to say no. The only USB cable that gets plugged into the Maestro is the one that came with the Maestro unit and it's just for flashing the Maestro.

I'd advise looking at the wiring diagrams for the Maestro and the head unit. You should be able to figure it all out from there. Might want to get everything soldered together during the day while the guys that make the Maestro are answering the phones.

Once you get the wires connected and soldered between the Maestro and head unit it's pretty much all plug and play for the most part.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:04 PM
DTH

Well I went ahead did the install and have few issues and I've only tried the unit for a few minutes so maybe there's more. I'm pretty sure I soldered all wires correctly, did this yesterday and took my time.
The first one is the unit will not shut off when I turn the key off and remove and open door. If I unplug it and plug back in it turns back on, if I dissconnect the battery and reconnect it stays off. Do the wires that went to the old unit face plate have to be connected anywhere ? maybe this is the problem ?
Second problem is I can't adjust the volume from steering wheel controls only from the unit.
Third is a boo boo I cause but not too much of an issue right now. The antena wires wouldn't fit together so in my infinite wisdom I decided the break the plastic shroud off the plug, well now it still won't go together is there anything I can do with this without replaceing the whole antena ? All help is extremly appreciated.

Last edited by DTH; 05-20-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:19 PM

Your first issue is the Maestro hasn't gone through it's initialization yet. Turn your key to ACC or start your truck but keep the driver's side door open. Keep it open until it is fully set up. You'll know when it's done.

If you're talking about the six pin connector (or however many pins are in it) on the right hand side as you're looking at the stereo....just leave it disconnected because it's no longer going to be used. The only connectors you're going to keep using are the one at the top for your hazard lights/airbag light/traction control, the two longer ones that go into the climate control module that you transferred over to the new dash piece, your Sync ones at the bottom, and your cigarette lighter plug.

You should have gotten an antenna adapter with your head unit (well if you ordered from Crutchfield they would have included it anyway). You could try piecing it back together and holding it with tape? Dunno....might have to call the dealership about that one.

Adjusting the volume issue is likely because you didn't let the Maestro do it's thing with the driver's side door open. Happened to me too at first and I thought I screwed something up. I powered down the head unit manually and since it was getting hot in the truck I left the driver's side door open and started it back up....and the Maestro started running through it's routine.
The following users liked this post:
12V Guy (05-29-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kenwood/Maestro ?????'s