Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Just wen I get out they pull me back in...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just wen I get out they pull me back in...

Ya know I had stopped with the Auto modding thing years ago. First it was Mini Trucks, then it was Mustangs and rodding them, Now its tinkering with the audio in my 2010 F150 FX4 and soon the wife's Escape.
So after some searching on here I found the color codes for the speaker wires.
I have the PAC module the converts the front spkr wire output to line input for the amp. got that and plan on tapping off of the harness near where it goes into the back of the factory head unit. No muss no fuss. I was planning on keeping the factory head unit so I could retain my Sync features which surprisingly I've never had any issues with.
After reading a bit I hear folks talking about a PAC module that allows you to retain your Sync features. If this is the case I would consider a nice double DIN touchscreen head unit since there is so much room in that area.
I have the factory Radio with the 2 line LCD display with Sync No nav.
My questions are as follows.
1) What is the number of the PAC module? Looked at their site but was unable to determine the correct one.
2) How good are these things? I mean do all the Sync functions work the same or better than factory?
3) Do the steering wheel controls still work? I do a lot of driving and frequently use these.
4) Do they alo make a adapter to go between the module and the new radio/factory wiring harness?
5) Is there a good step by step on replacing the factory unit with the new head unit?

Thanks for any info you guys can point me to. I was going to keep this a simple build but if I can retain the factory style Sync and Satellite radio along with voice control I can see me dropping a decent amount more cash into this and going whole hog on it and moving the stuff like the powered kicker sub to the wife's car and getting a higher end sub amp etc etc.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by NetRngr
Ya know I had stopped with the Auto modding thing years ago. First it was Mini Trucks, then it was Mustangs and rodding them, Now its tinkering with the audio in my 2010 F150 FX4 and soon the wife's Escape.
I have the PAC module the converts the front spkr wire output to line input for the amp. got that and plan on tapping off of the harness near where it goes into the back of the factory head unit. No muss no fuss. I was planning on keeping the factory head unit so I could retain my Sync features which surprisingly I've never had any issues with.
After reading a bit I hear folks talking about a PAC module that allows you to retain your Sync features. If this is the case I would consider a nice double DIN touchscreen head unit since there is so much room in that area.
1) What is the number of the PAC module? Looked at their site but was unable to determine the correct one.
2) How good are these things? I mean do all the Sync functions work the same or better than factory?
3) Do the steering wheel controls still work? I do a lot of driving and frequently use these.
4) Do they alo make a adapter to go between the module and the new radio/factory wiring harness?
5) Is there a good step by step on replacing the factory unit with the new head unit?

Thanks for any info you guys can point me to. I was going to keep this a simple build but if I can retain the factory style Sync and Satellite radio along with voice control I can see me dropping a decent amount more cash into this and going whole hog on it and moving the stuff like the powered kicker sub to the wife's car and getting a higher end sub amp etc etc.

Thanks in advance guys.
The new PAC piece is for 2016-17 F150`s with SYNC 3 and the Premium 10 speaker Sony System only and it retails for around 250.00

Last edited by GABAR; 03-01-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 268 Likes on 165 Posts

Thanks in advance guys.
I believe what you are talking about is not the PAC, but the Maestro unit. The PAC adapter (unless there is a new one I don't know about) is the AOEM-FRD24 (I think that's the number anyway) and it is a plug and play solution for getting line outputs for an amp. The maestro is what will allow you to maintain sync if you change head units. I started with the PAC in my '13 STX (same stereo as yours), but eventually replaced the factory head unit for a Kenwood double din nav unit. I added the maestro and all sync functions worked exactly the same as they did before.

For the record, I too have never had an issue with sync. I've had it in my '11 XLT, '13 STX, 15 Mustang GT and now in my '14 Tremor. Worked perfectly fine in all vehicles. I don't understand why so many people have such problems.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:52 AM

So they dont have one for the 2010s any more? Seems odd they would quit making them.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the info. Gee I miss the days when you just yanked the old unit out and slapped a new one in haha. Yeah i'm old, sue me.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:57 AM

So they dont have one for the 2010s any more? Seems odd they would quit making them.
Don't have one what?

To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, the PAC harness does not retain sync when you swap head units, as that is not the intent of it. The intent is to provide a plug and play solution to getting RCA outputs for installing aftermarket amps with the stock head unit without cutting wires. It is simply a harness that plugs in between the factory harness and factory stereo and has a line out converter in it. Other LOCs require cutting and splicing or tapping into the factory wires.

The Maestro unit is a module that plugs in to the sync module and provides an interface to the aftermarket head unit to retain the features of sync (and other goodies the unit provides). It maintains steering wheel controls, and also gives you programming options for the steering wheel control buttons.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

to install an aftermarket radio in your car, double or single din, and retain sync and steering wheel controls, it's going to cost around $200 for all the necessary parts. if you buy them from crutchfield you will also get free installation directions.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADS...ce-Module.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794HRR...n-Adapter.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120955...tte-Black.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040C...a-Adapter.html

if you don't care about sync you can knock off about $70 or so. you will forget the first two links above and go with this one:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541RP4...e.html?tp=3486
Old 03-01-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by bigred90gt
I believe what you are talking about is not the PAC, but the Maestro unit. The PAC adapter (unless there is a new one I don't know about) is the AOEM-FRD24 (I think that's the number anyway) and it is a plug and play solution for getting line outputs for an amp. The maestro is what will allow you to maintain sync if you change head units. I started with the PAC in my '13 STX (same stereo as yours), but eventually replaced the factory head unit for a Kenwood double din nav unit. I added the maestro and all sync functions worked exactly the same as they did before.

For the record, I too have never had an issue with sync. I've had it in my '11 XLT, '13 STX, 15 Mustang GT and now in my '14 Tremor. Worked perfectly fine in all vehicles. I don't understand why so many people have such problems.
Negative on the Maestro.

The PAC product i`m referring to is the AP4-FD21.

The PAC is totally plug and play before the factory amp via the can-bus. It gives 6 low level line outputs at 5 volts and it also has provisions for an optical output and it retains all SYNC 3 functions and the stock head unit.

This item has nothing to do with the Maestro products and you can view it on PAC`s website.

You must have the 8 inch SYNC 3 screen to use this product so I don`t think this will work for you.

Have a great day.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:34 PM

The PAC AOEM-FRD24 will give you the low level outputs that you mentioned and it`s for a 2010 F150 but if your vehicle has the THX or Sony Amplified system, this PAC product will not work.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by GABAR
Negative on the Maestro.

The PAC product i`m referring to is the AP4-FD21.

The PAC is totally plug and play before the factory amp via the can-bus. It gives 6 low level line outputs at 5 volts and it also has provisions for an optical output and it retains all SYNC 3 functions and the stock head unit.

This item has nothing to do with the Maestro products and you can view it on PAC`s website.

You must have the 8 inch SYNC 3 screen to use this product so I don`t think this will work for you.

Have a great day.
Fair enough, but that product is completely irrelevant to the OP's vehicle. He does not have a 2015+, does not have sync 3, and does not have a factory amp.