Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

JL Audio MicroSub Dual 8" Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 10:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default JL Audio MicroSub Dual 8" Review

I thought I'd give my quick feedback on the JL Audio CP208LG-W3v3 since I dont really see any on a 15+ Screw. I own a 18 Screw and have been contemplating for a while now what type of set up I wanted in my truck. This was my first time installing audio into a truck. I have heard how there can be some issues with the bass roll off and how you have to make forscan changes and people were left unsatisfied with the bass/install even with a DSP so that kind of turned me off. But while going through the forum I found out that the my non amplified system was a little easier to work with and that the front channels have full frequency without EQ via @dhmcfadin so I decided to give it a shot. Long story short..He was right. Anyways my set up consists of the JL Audio dual 8" microsub, JL Audio C2 6x9s and 6.5s, C2 Tweeters, and the JL Audio RD 500/1 amp. The dual 8" micro sub was my sub of choice because it fit under the bench, it was ported and tuned, and stealthy and it didnt stick out. I also had w3's before so it was a no brainer. On to the review..

Quality: It's JL Audio. You get what you pay for.

Fitment: Under the seat it fits perfectly. People dont even know there is a sub placed underneath them until I play some music. I had to place it a little more to the driver side so the seats dont dent the grills as much. It has about a inch and a half until it would stick out pass the bench.

Sound: This sub enclosure hits very hard for two 8's. It has a lot of range. It can get really low. It sounds clear and not muddy, and can get very loud. But what I love about this ported enclosure is that it sounds like two 10's inside the cab but no rattle outside the cab and that the sub is virtually absent. Its a sound quality sub and not a ground shaker. It compliments my highs and mids tremendously well and then some.

Verdict: I have really nothing bad to say about this sub. If you want a stealthy sub that offers that low frequency that two 10's would give you, but want quietness outside the vehicle this sub is for you. Hope this helps anyone that was looking into the microsub.

Last edited by DrewDizon; 05-25-2019 at 10:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrewDizon:
roxbury29 (11-10-2020), Shane803 (10-09-2020)
Old 05-27-2019, 12:52 AM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

Nice review.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:30 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewDizon

Quality: It's JL Audio. You get what you pay for.

Verdict: If you want a stealthy sub that offers that low frequency that two 10's would give you, but want quietness outside the vehicle this sub is for you.
Congrats on your install.. but based on these 2 statements .. i can see that the marketing has got you hook line and sinker..
Old 05-27-2019, 10:35 AM
Bo.

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by doug97gxe
Congrats on your install.. but based on these 2 statements .. i can see that the marketing has got you hook line and sinker..
I'm gonna bite my tongue and just tell Drew to enjoy his system, since we all know Doug isn't a JL fan. We've got a lot of good things going on in the F150 car audio forum.... no need to be a D.

--Bo
The following 2 users liked this post by Bo.:
woodall01 (05-27-2019), Wyo11Scab (10-07-2020)
Old 05-27-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Bo.
I'm gonna bite my tongue and just tell Drew to enjoy his system, since we all know Doug isn't a JL fan. We've got a lot of good things going on in the F150 car audio forum.... no need to be a D.

--Bo
i actually think i handled that pretty well.. no?
Old 05-27-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by doug97gxe
Lol. What do you want me to say about the quality? JL Audio is a quality product. Everybody and there mom knows that. And based on my verdict I have nothing bad to say about this sub. Sure it doesn’t hit every single low note how I want it to, but it does a good job for two little eights. You can get the same results and even better with cheaper products than JL Audio. Everybody knows that. But, I went with something that was already pre made, readily available, and got it at a good price at my local shop. Cheers
The following 2 users liked this post by DrewDizon:
doug97gxe (05-27-2019), papermaker (05-27-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewDizon
Lol. What do you want me to say about the quality? JL Audio is a quality product. Everybody and there mom knows that. And based on my verdict I have nothing bad to say about this sub. Sure it doesn’t hit every single low note how I want it to, but it does a good job for two little eights. You can get the same results and even better with cheaper products than JL Audio. Everybody knows that. But, I went with something that was already pre made, readily available, and got it at a good price at my local shop. Cheers
No need to justify, Its a great setup for someone wanting a better quality sound than the stock system, I have the same setup in mine and I am completely satisfied. Easy install without adding amps, wires, DSP and all that. I did add sound proofing to the cab also
Old 05-18-2020, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the MicroSub box fit behind the back seat? I'm looking to up grade but I need the full availability of my backseat without a sub box
Old 05-18-2020, 05:14 PM

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

I had those in my 13 super crew and really liked them. At first I had 300 watts on them and there were good, but 500 watts really sounded great. But what do I know, I’m running 2 w3 6’s.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:12 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by HillyRaptor
Would the MicroSub box fit behind the back seat? I'm looking to up grade but I need the full availability of my backseat without a sub box
That box will not fit behind the rear seats.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Quick Reply: JL Audio MicroSub Dual 8" Review