Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Installed rear camera now no compass - help

Old 01-22-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed rear camera now no compass - help

Just purchased a new 2010 FX2. The dealer installed an aftermarket rear view camera and mirror (with lcd screen) before I took delivery of the truck. Now the in-dash compass display shows "--". Any ideas? I was told they had to go aftermarket because the truck did not have a wiring harness in it for the stock system. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Well figured out the compass sensor is in the factory mirror so that brings another question...is there a fix? Remote sensor or can the factory mirror be wired in? Any ideas?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:26 PM

What was the brand of backup camera and mirror?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 PM

Wish I knew but I don't.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:09 PM

I decided to remove the mirror...its made by Advent. No auto dimmer and the screen is impossible to see during the day even with brightness adjusted.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:11 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a huge thread in 2009-present about adding the factory wiring harness and making it work, which mirror you need, what wires are what, etc.... it IS possible to add the stock after the fact, it is just a matter of cost.

Check out that thread and then hold the dealer to the fire... if it is a new truck, make sure everything is done right.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 PM

Thanks for your input. I agree...I should hold the dealer to the agreement to install the factory system but now I have a dilemma. They have now made a third attempt but installed an 09 mirror in my 2010 and kept the aftermarket tag bracket camera. It's fuzzy, static, smaller screen and no distance indicators. I spent hours today with their tech and parts department and they insist it can't be done. They also would not let me view parts books...I could figure it out if they did.

I've read thru the very lengthy and informative thread on installing the stock camera system but can't make heads or tails of it because the guys at the dealer won't provide access to the parts books so I can compare the thread info to the part numbers. I can't even find the harness under the bed of the truck that I believe is supposed to be there. I'm so Dang frustrated at this point. I build 100,000 dollar motorcycles and know this can be done. But since they are footing the bill, they should finish the job.

So in summary, I'm pleading to any of you out there with a 2010 that has done this, to help a fella out. Haha. I'm just getting lost in the long thread. Thank you again in advance.

Last edited by kevinb1450; 01-31-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM

Default All info required - diagrams - to install the camera

Hey fellas,

I decided to make a contribution to this thread for any that are still trying to figure out this camera thing. I've attached all documention and wiring diagrams required to install the system. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-001.jpg   Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-003.jpg   Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-004.jpg   Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-005.jpg   Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-006.jpg  

Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-007.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 08:27 AM

Default Continuation

FYI...these include connector locations along with connector numbers for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-008.jpg   Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-009.jpg   Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-010.jpg   Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-011.jpg   Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-012.jpg  

Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-013.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM

Default Continuation 2

Last one.
Attached Thumbnails Installed rear camera now no compass - help-ford-pictures-014.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed rear camera now no compass - help