Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Infinity Kappa 62ix vs Morel Maximo Ultra 602 coax in rear door review

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Infinity Kappa 62ix vs Morel Maximo Ultra 602 coax in rear door review

Here is my review of the Infinity Kappa 62ix vs Morel Maximo Ultra 602 coax in the rear door of supercrew running off of factory sync 3. I am not a professional just a guy looking for some good sound. I hope this helps someone looking for rear speaker. The 62ix is one of Infinity top coax 6.5. (Crutchfield says 62ix will not fit. That is not true it fits without a problem.) The 602 coax is one of Morel lower end coax speaker. They are both priced around $150. Of the two speakers the 62ix is about 10 oz heavier. I also like the design of the 62ix speaker a little better. I like the screw in wire connection vs the spade style connectors on the Morel. The rear basket on the morel is a little wider. When installing with metra door adaptor you have to trim some clips off of the adaptor for the speaker to fit flush.
Now the important part the sound. Both of these speaker sound real good. It was hard for me to say one sounds better than the other although they did have different sounds. The 62ix tweeters seems to be a little brighter. So if you like that style I would go with that one. Bass was about the same on both. Again i was running this just of the sync 3 radio so when amplified I am sure you may be able to tell a bigger difference between the two.
I decided to go with the Morel only because I am planning to add an amplifier and I was concerned that the Kappa 62ix would be to bright for my taste when amplified.

The following 2 users liked this post by cboo85:
cmw458 (03-06-2018), Wyo11Scab (03-06-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

i wouldn't suggest getting to caught up on rear fill speakers. chances are good you are not running any processor to account for the rear fill to begin with. now think about going to a concert - how many speaker arrays are behind you? front stage is what matters.
The following 3 users liked this post by nineball:
Bungi (12-25-2023), MDXLT (12-23-2023), UncleG (03-14-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by nineball
i wouldn't suggest getting to caught up on rear fill speakers. chances are good you are not running any processor to account for the rear fill to begin with. now think about going to a concert - how many speaker arrays are behind you? front stage is what matters.
I am going with a nice set of Morel components in the front. Although I know its becoming more popular I personally prefer the sound coming from every direction. I really dislike only hearing sound from front. My system is going to include amp and dsp.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmyjudd66 (07-05-2022)
Old 03-08-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by cboo85
I am going with a nice set of Morel components in the front. Although I know its becoming more popular I personally prefer the sound coming from every direction. I really dislike only hearing sound from front. My system is going to include amp and dsp.
with a good dsp you won't need rear fill, but to each their own. i used to think just as you did until i heard a properly tuned install, and it was all over from there
Old 03-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Load and Charge

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I went with the Morel Maximo Coax's in the rear of mine. They were like $90 from Crutchfield. I got Morel Tempo Ultra components at the same time, which were on sale; they'll be going in the front. I'm not looking to build a studio sound stage in a pick up truck... Been there, done that and it wasn't worth the price of admission. I spent a small fortune trying to get my Titan to have a true SQ system with top of the line CDT components, imaging speakers, processing, the whole nine.... In the end, it only really sounded marginally better than my 13' F150 which just had a basic off the shelf Infinity / JL system in it with no processing.

The way I look at it; most of us are listening to music from our devices and don't take the time to or have the data space to store the massive files (relatively speaking) that ultra high quality music would take up. So in the end, you can have the greatest quality system in the world but if you're feeding it crap data to play, it's only going to sound as good as that crap data can... The rule of diminishing returns comes into play VERY quickly; kind of like having a race car capable of making 1000 wheel horse power and running 91 octane pump gas in it...

So all that being said, I know A LOT of people say forget about the rear speakers, it's the common regurgitated comment on quite a few audio based boards and for those of us that understand the staging and imaging and are going to take the time to process the sound AND feed it quality samples; it's the right thing to say. But in most average systems, there never going to be fed top quality music so there's no way I would suggest spending good money to make the front sound good only to have that limited by what the rear speakers can do. I certainly wouldn't spend as much on the rears as I would on the fronts (as evidenced by the choice in models I went with), but I certainly wouldn't suggest ignoring them all together AND I gotta believe that I'm probably in the larger camp when you think about as I laid it out above.
Jimmyjudd66 (07-05-2022)
Old 03-09-2018, 06:05 PM

I agree with that
Old 12-22-2023, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
with a good dsp you won't need rear fill, but to each their own. i used to think just as you did until i heard a properly tuned install, and it was all over from there
The point of this is the sound quality of the speakers.
Old 12-25-2023, 11:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i've got infinity's front and rear door 6.5s , i used the "defeat 3db of tweet " or whatever button on the rears , and "on" in the front doors . i would do it again.
Wyo11Scab (12-25-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 12:13 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

I like Morels personally more than Infinity.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 12-30-2023, 02:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HushCarAudio
I like Morels personally more than Infinity.
I only used these because i had them already from a previous "upgrade" that didn't happen.

Quick Reply: Infinity Kappa 62ix vs Morel Maximo Ultra 602 coax in rear door review