Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help w/Stereo Wiring in a '97 Lariat F-150

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help w/Stereo Wiring in a '97 Lariat F-150

Hi everyone! I am completing an installation of my new sound system in my pickup. It's been a long time coming and I am very excited to be almost completely finished with it. However, I hit a snag today and am need of help.

Basically, I can't determine which wires in the dash wiring harness behind my head unit go to my front right speaker. I've done a bit of research here on the forums, at 12-Volt, Ford, and a couple of other sites, but am not finding anything to help.

A poster named GatorB8 posted a diagram on this thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f6/need-he...-lariat-65403/ , which has been more helpful than anything else I found online. However, it still does not solve my problem. Coming from my right front speaker in the door, I have a White/Light Green and Dark Green/Orange set of wires like in GatorB8's list. However, these colors do not match the harness behind the head unit in my dash.

It took me considerable amount of time and research over the last year to get the other three speakers sorted out and properly connected. When I tested my truck today, those three speakers, my amps, my sub, and my receiver all worked. The front right speaker is the only piece of the puzzle that does not fit.

Looking at the harness behind the head unit, I have the following wire colors:

Currently used for the front right door speaker are Light Blue (Positive) and Tan (Negative). Unused are Light Green/Black, Orange/Black, Green/Red, White/Red, Light Blue/Pink.

Has anyone here encountered a harness with these colors? With the Light Blue and Tan wires used as my Positive and Negative lines respectively, my front right door speaker does not output any sound. Does anyone know the proper wire configuration for this speaker?

Thank you in advance for your input! I am new at this, so if I left out any helpful information, please let me know and I will post it!
Old 01-03-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Here ya go.

Last edited by RLXXI; 01-03-2015 at 01:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kerrdog (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 01:04 PM

Thank you for the diagram! Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my problem.

The DG/O and W/LG is correct. I can see that in the door coming from the speaker. The problem is that when I look at the wiring harness in my dash behind the head unit, there isn't a DG/O or a W/LG wire. It's like whoever wired up the truck at the factory had to splice a different color wire onto the DG/O and W/LG wires after they left the door.

So, where they all come into the receiver on the diagram is where I am having trouble. I have seven wires leftover after wiring up the other three speakers, but none of them match the diagram.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:19 PM

You will likely have to run new wires then because that diagram is what the dealer tech's use. Someone must have spliced the harness, or get an ohm meter with continuity feedback and probe the wires at the speaker connection and the head unit.
Kerrdog (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 01:40 PM

I will try the meter, thanks!
Old 01-03-2015, 04:05 PM

So, the meter didn't work like I had hoped. It just showed me that all my wiring connections are good, but it wasn't able to narrow down the selection of wires. I'm pretty much reduced to systematically trying each wire in hopes of finding the correct one.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:26 PM

The + and - of each speaker wire will only show continuity when you touch each lead to the respective end of a wire.

Disconnect the harness at that speaker, attach one meter probe to a wire and then do the same at the head unit harness in the dash, when you find the one that makes continuity you have isolated that circuit at both ends, do the same for the other speaker wire, if more than one wire at the head unit has continuity to either wire at the speaker end then you have a short circuit, if none of the wires have cont then you have an open circuit, run new wires accordingly.

If you are unable to perform that basic task find a professional installer.
Kerrdog (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I'll admit that this is my first time and it has been a huge learning experience! I was testing the various wires inside of the dash wiring harness as well as the wires coming from my amp, and the wires in my door paneling. Didn't think to actually go end-to-end on the door-to-dash wiring though.

...I 'bout did everything except what you recommended!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:40 PM

[MENTION=134559]Rnlcomp[/MENTION]:

Thank you for the help! After a bit of testing, I determined that I had a short circuit and had to run a new set of wires to the speaker. Got 'er done just as it got too dark to work and the skeeters all came out to eat me alive. Truck sounds terrific; many thanks!

Now I just have to put it all back together tomorrow in the daylight and I'll be good to go!

To anyone reading this in search of help, here is a quick sum-up:

My pickup is a 1997 F-150 Lariat with the 6 CD Changer in the back left of the cab. If your truck matches this, you may be having the same problems I did with its stereo wiring.

Basically, my truck's in-dash, behind the head unit wiring harness does not match the diagrams found on The12Volt, this forum, or any other that I could find. I did manage to find this pin diagram here though: http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Ford-Wiring.pdf

I found that diagram to accurately match the 16 pin plug in my dash. The wiring colors themselves did not match, but the wiring pin placements did (i.e. - position A, B, C, etc.). This allowed me to wire three of my four speakers correctly, but the fourth one, the front right one in my door, had a short circuit. To remedy this, I had to run a new wire from the amp to my speaker in the door itself, bypassing the head unit dash harness altogether.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:26 PM

Kerrdog (01-04-2015)

Quick Reply: Help w/Stereo Wiring in a '97 Lariat F-150