Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help me pick a Double Din Head Unit...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Help me pick a Double Din Head Unit...

Under $600. Navigation is optional but my cell phone sucks for navigation so I am leaning towards it a bit. Biggest screen possible. Going to be powering Kicker speakers and maybe an amp/sub in the future, possible the Kicker Hideaway as well. Clean look without tons of buttons/*****. Gotta have Pandora.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:13 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

i'm a fan of pioneer headunits. for under $600 you could pick up a 5200NEX. if nav isn't a must then the 4200NEX has a slightly bigger screen at 7" vs 6.2" (buttons are on the bottom on the bigger screen, on the left on the smaller). it's the same specs, just no built in nav though they both have carplay and android auto.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:11 PM

I was leaning towards Pioneer.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
i'm a fan of pioneer headunits. for under $600 you could pick up a 5200NEX. if nav isn't a must then the 4200NEX has a slightly bigger screen at 7" vs 6.2" (buttons are on the bottom on the bigger screen, on the left on the smaller). it's the same specs, just no built in nav though they both have carplay and android auto.
+1
Old 06-20-2017, 10:09 PM

I was trying to avoid a traditional sub box but I am thinking it might be the best route. Does anyone know of someone that makes a box that fits under the passenger side rear seat? I don't want to take up my drivers side due to tools, etc. I always keep my seats
up in the rear.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 PM

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

For looks only, I'm leaning toward the JVC KW-M730BT, but I don't know anything about JVC's sound quality. I've always been impressed with any Pioneer head unit I've owned, but I don't like the way they protrude out at the bottom. The JVC, imo, looks as low-key as you can get with an aftermarket stereo. There are some others with the "clean" look, but I like that this one has actual volume buttons and not that touch panel crap.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-6-8-...?skuId=5712377
The following users liked this post:
BushMonster (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by jhelrey
I was trying to avoid a traditional sub box but I am thinking it might be the best route. Does anyone know of someone that makes a box that fits under the passenger side rear seat? I don't want to take up my drivers side due to tools, etc. I always keep my seats
up in the rear.
I was looking for the same thing, but couldn't find what I was looking for so I made one myself for the first time. I actually surprised myself building this thing. I just finished today, so no pics at the moment, but I'm really glad I decided to do it myself.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhett Jones
For looks only, I'm leaning toward the JVC KW-M730BT, but I don't know anything about JVC's sound quality. I've always been impressed with any Pioneer head unit I've owned, but I don't like the way they protrude out at the bottom. The JVC, imo, looks as low-key as you can get with an aftermarket stereo. There are some others with the "clean" look, but I like that this one has actual volume buttons and not that touch panel crap.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-6-8-...?skuId=5712377
Any tips on installation? Stock basic radio sucks and takes up the whole dash!
Bestbuy tells me mounting an aftermarket deck is very expensive and suggests line outs to amp and upgraded speakers only.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:34 PM

Ohh it'll be expensive lol. Right now, I'm just doing the line out converter with stock radio, but eventually I want the idatalink maestro dash kit with the wiring harness to go with it and retain all sync controls. Total price for all that (on eBay or Amazon) will be around $800 probably.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:27 AM

Received 579 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by BushMonster
Any tips on installation? Stock basic radio sucks and takes up the whole dash!
Bestbuy tells me mounting an aftermarket deck is very expensive and suggests line outs to amp and upgraded speakers only.
You can do it "cheap" and still do it right. Just research what you're gonna need, obviously, and then start looking at brands and see what you can find for the cheapest price. I bought a Scoche dash kit for $30, got an antenna adapter from Walmart for $8, got the RWSC-1(steering wheel controls) off of Amazon for about $40(don't remember what brand, but it had great reviews and works great), a wiring harness from Walmart for $12, and originally had a Pioneer AVH-280bt($170 on Amazon)

I have a '13, so you could literally do all of that for the same prices I did. I didn't but the Sync-retention harness as my head unit has most, if not more, of the features that Sync has. Plus that harness is like $120 alone.

Recently replaced that head unit with an AVH-X490BS and so glad I did. Was all plug and play since I already had a Pioneer harness installed.

Later I upgraded just my front speakers with Pioneers that I got at Walmart for $60. The same ones were on Amazon for $100. I also just installed a Rockville powered sub that was $120 on Amazon. Still not sold on it yet though. It's my first sub so I may just need to keep working on the tune. I do love having that bass filled in. Wasn't wanting something that make my whole truck bounce.

Last edited by tland4; 06-21-2017 at 02:31 AM.