Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help me choose a dsp!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:38 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Help me choose a dsp!

i already have a dq61 hooked up and running. But the time alignment function isn’t working. I also do t like that it only has 7 channels of equalization. I’d like to try something else. I’ve been looking at the Dayton 408 and RF DSR1. Both look like they’d be better than what I currently have. The dsr1 has more bands of eq, 31, while the 408 has 10. It looks like the dsr1 would be easier to use and has blue tooth built in. Anyone here used both? Any input would be great. I’m really looking for more control than I have now AND, big AND here, easy to use. I’m not trying to break out the laptop, and a mic, and an O scope to tune. I currently have a pioneer gmd8604 running some jbl 6x9 components up front and some infinity kappa coax in rear. I have a jbl 500.1 running 2, 12” kicker shallow mounts in a sealed box under the rear seat of my CC. The bass is fine. I will replace my 6x9 with a set of 3 way kappa perfects (already have them).
I hope to get some of those new A pillar pods from customspeakerpods.com. I want to use the passive crossovers because I don’t want to mess with running active. Thanks for all the help fellas. What I have now sounds pretty good, but I want it to sound great.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunatic619
i already have a dq61 hooked up and running. But the time alignment function isn’t working. I also do t like that it only has 7 channels of equalization. I’d like to try something else. I’ve been looking at the Dayton 408 and RF DSR1. Both look like they’d be better than what I currently have. The dsr1 has more bands of eq, 31, while the 408 has 10. It looks like the dsr1 would be easier to use and has blue tooth built in. Anyone here used both? Any input would be great. I’m really looking for more control than I have now AND, big AND here, easy to use. I’m not trying to break out the laptop, and a mic, and an O scope to tune. I currently have a pioneer gmd8604 running some jbl 6x9 components up front and some infinity kappa coax in rear. I have a jbl 500.1 running 2, 12” kicker shallow mounts in a sealed box under the rear seat of my CC. The bass is fine. I will replace my 6x9 with a set of 3 way kappa perfects (already have them).
I hope to get some of those new A pillar pods from customspeakerpods.com. I want to use the passive crossovers because I don’t want to mess with running active. Thanks for all the help fellas. What I have now sounds pretty good, but I want it to sound great.
I vote Dayton 408 because:

Both offer tuning from a mobile device
Both offer high level input
Both have an easy to use GUI

Differences:
Dayton offers input mixing which is good if you find you want to boost the input level on the dsp.
Dayton offers phase adjustment.
Dayton offers dedicated hard wired remote
Dayton offers Bluetooth streaming, the dsr1 does not. The dsr1 only offers Bluetooth control.

EQ Differences:
Dayton offers multiple crossover profiles (Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley, Bessel) dsr1 only offers only Linkwitz-Riley.

While only 10 bands, it's a parametric EQ. Once you have you have time-alignment setup, very very rarely are you using more than 10 bands to eq. If you are, there's an issue that needs to be resolved with speaker placement or speaker treatment. Because it is parametric, it means you can choose ANY frequency between 1hz and 20,000 hz. That's a whole lot more than 10 bands.

Dayton allows for Q adjustment which is the ability to change the width of each frequency individually. Very important for center imaging.

Dayton offers a higher sampling rate (can play a higher quality signal) vs the dsr1.

Dayton offers a 5 year warranty, the dsr1 is only 1 year.

MOST IMPORTANT: Dayton offers higher output voltage vs the dsr1. This means you can increase the out voltage of the Dayton thus allowing you turn your amp gains down when you level match. This gives the ability to lower your noise floor and makes for a much more silent system. Dsr1 does not offer this ability and the low output voltage is a common complaint.

Cost:
Dayton is cheaper

Source of information: I've had hands on experience. If you had a Sony system and were looking for factory integration, I would steer you to the dsr1. Since you don't have Sony, Dayton 408 all day long.

Last edited by dhmcfadin; 11-13-2018 at 09:24 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dhmcfadin:
1NiceHarley (11-30-2018), Rey L. (07-19-2020), Wyo11Scab (11-16-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
Dayton 408 all day long.

What he said. There's really no comparison. Unless you absolutely need the DSR1's integration capability, the Dayton is light years ahead.
My 408 is arriving tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:54 PM

Thanks dhmc! I saw that the 408 is on sale. Thanks for posting the linc. Is there a way to control the sub level on the fly on the 408. I couldn’t find any info that the remote **** was capable of doing that.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:56 PM

Thanks dhmc! I saw that the 408 is on sale. Thanks for posting the linc. Is there a way to control the sub level on the fly on the 408. I couldn’t find any info that the remote **** was capable of doing that.
Here you go. 20 bucks and it looks sweet! https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...waAlm5EALw_wcB
Old 11-23-2018, 07:53 PM

So it doesn’t say anything about sub level control, but I guess I could set a preset for different sub levels and toggle between presets? I’ve never used anything this in-depth and it’s a little intimidating. Most of my sounds manipulation is done via old school EQs.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:54 PM

And I’m defiantly getting the blue tooth dongle (I love that word!) to set it up! I hope I can get some help choosing the crossover point and slopes?
Old 11-23-2018, 08:14 PM

And I’m defiantly getting the blue tooth dongle (I love that word!) to set it up! I hope I can get some help choosing the crossover point and slopes?
That remote can be configured to do a number of different things including master volume and sub volume. Sub level is always adjustable regardless of what profile you are using.

I prefer 24db slopes. Crossovers are going to depend on your drivers. If you are running passive crossovers, you don't need to worry about slopes or crossovers, you just need to measure the response of your speakers in their environment and determine where you need to boost or cut to get the frequency response you want.

What speakers are you using? Are you running passive or active?
Old 11-23-2018, 08:21 PM

Passive. Infinity kappa perfect 600 3 way. And some infinity coax in rear. I’ll probably be picking up a set of a a-pillar pods from customdoorpods.com and also thinking of picking up the audiofrog dsp tuning kit.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:36 PM

Since you are passive, no need to worry about crossovers and slopes. That's what passive crossovers handle.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a dsp!