Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help with front/rear camera and monitor

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi everyone,
Ive been searching for a while now and haven't found any specific how to's as far as installing both a front and rear camera on an external monitor. I found some good write ups as far as rear camera installs, but am wondering how to power both a monitor as well as the front camera in unison with a rear camera. I was hoping to use a power switch for the monitor which would primarily be on the front view, and have it switch to the rear view when shifted into reverse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Mods: I just realized this is probably in the wrong section. Please delete. Thanks

Last edited by sircharlespiko; 09-12-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

This is exactly what I'm trying to do. I've installed the rear the other day, it works perfect, and now I want to install the front using the badge on the grill kit. I have an alpine INA W900 and don't have any idea how to get this started. I'd like to also have a switch to turn on front, and if possible to keep the back active when in reverse.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

If I understand what you want to do, you will need to install a 3-way switch. Position one will power the rear camera, position 2 will turn off the power to the rear camera and power the front camera. The center or third switch position would be off. Normally when you put your truck in reverse the power from the backup lights is what turns the power on to the rear camera. With a camera in front also you will need a common 12 volt power source to the 3-way switch.

Last edited by shortride; 09-19-2013 at 01:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sircharlespiko (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 12:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks shortride,
Where would be an ideal place to tap the power from? I'm planning on getting the rear camera's power from the reverse light, so it automatically comes on when shifted into reverse. However, don't know where would be the ideal place to tap for the constant power to the front camera as well as monitor or the "switch". Thanks again for the assistance

Quick Reply: Help with front/rear camera and monitor