Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help with component speaker installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with component speaker installation

I have a 2016 XLT Screw that I am thinking about adding component speakers to the front doors. Are there any pictures or videos showing a good place to mount the crossovers and run the tweeter wires to the door?

Thanks
Macgre3
Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 PM

Received 600 Likes on 441 Posts

Replace your factory tweeters with your aftermarket. Off-axis works best (some people will say having them blast you full on is better, I digress) and mounting them is easier, not to mention its in stock location and will look better than having them in the a-pillars or the mirror covers.

Assuming you're running the wires from the rear of the cab, run the wires from the x-over along the door channels (remove the door sills) up the kick panel, thru the dash vent cavity (around the dash vent, it pops out) and up the A-pillar.

I DO NOT recommend mounting the x-over in the door. After pulling the door panel the third time I said screw this, and installed them in the amp rack

Just my humble opinion (thats how I ran my JL C3 components).
Old 09-12-2016, 09:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got some JL components and the crossover/capacitors were in the wiring. Just put them in the same place as the stock ones.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Iraq Lobster!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There is room to tuck the xovers in the kick panels, under the carpet. You'll never notice the little bulge, they're available for tweaking (if the xover supports that) and you don't have to run two sets of wires from the back to the doors.

If you do leave the xovers in the doors, make damn sure they're solidly mounted. They'll make a ton of noise if they're allowed to rattle round in there.

You can use wood or cutting board to make the baffles needed to hold a 6.5 or 5.25" speaker. Just trace the stock speaker on it, drill the screw holes to match and cut the speaker hole for the new comp set. Tweets are easy, just make them fit in the stock spots, or mount them near the mid. Just make sure they're secured. Deaden the doors while you're in there.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, I understand installing the tweeters in the stock location and the crossover under the dash/carpet/kick panel. I do not understand how to get the wires from the doors to the crossover in the locations described. Does anyone have pics showing where the crossover would fit mounted to the door?

Regards
Macgre
Old 09-18-2016, 06:40 PM
Iraq Lobster!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you don't have the molex connector, you can just stuff it through the rubber boot. You may need a hanger to guide the wires, but it's pretty easy. If you have the plastic connector with a bunch of pins, there are several write ups about working around those. Some drill out blank spaces to route the wires, some use empty pin holes and actually work the speaker wire into the connection.

Quick Reply: Help with component speaker installation