Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Got it narrowed down...AUDIO GURUS HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Do Work

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got it narrowed down...AUDIO GURUS HELP!!

Alright, noob here with a question. First off let me give you some backround. I am looking to do a install on my 2009 Ford F150 REGULAR cab truck. Not wanting anything over the top, just something better than the crap stock system. I have had JL Audio components in the past, and am wanting to stick with this brand. I listen to mostly rock/metal music (Tool, Deftones, Rage Against The Machine, Killswitch Engage, etc.) and am looking for something that will give me tight, kick in the chest bass that compliments my taste in music. I rarely ever listen to rap, so no need for that boomy bass.

I will be keeping my stock head unit and hopefully adding the following:

-JL C5-570 component set for the front doors
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=444

-JL G4500 amp
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=480

and either 1 JL 10W3 or 1 or 2 JL 8W3 sub(s).
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=24
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=27

My question is, what would be the better choice subwoofer wise between the options listed above. I am wanting to run everything off the G4500 amp if possible. 1 channel with the component set, and another bridged with the sub(s). Which sub choice would work best and not stress this amp too much?? Thanks for the help and insight. I appreciate it greatly.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two JL 8" are a good choice, but I saw on here somewhere that someone suggested you go to an "audition" of woofers at your favorite stereo shop.
That is honestly your best bet. You can hear what they sound like in YOUR vehicle. In the audio world, there is something known as "cabin gain" that can dramatically effect the way a subwoofer sounds.

That woofer might sound freakin awesome on the board, but like a dog turd in your truck. Trust me, I have owned my audio shop for almost 20 years.
Any dealer worth your time and money would allow you to demo a number of subs for a special application like this.

If I was going to recommend something on experience, I would try a Memphis SC 10 or 12" shallow mount sub. Definitely not the low rolling bass you hear from 15's on Rap, but tight, punching bass. The JL 8W3 is an awesome piece for an 8" as well, but I would always go bigger than an 8", depending on the space. Custom building an enclosure around your specific sub is also recommended. You can tailor and tune your sound for what YOU want. Not what the installer wants.
I've got 4 other installers besides me, and I've 5 different opinions on what is perfect sound. You should be the judge for what you spend your money on.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you wanting jl just because they are all you have tried? there is much better out there for half if not a quarter of the price
Old 02-09-2010, 09:49 AM

Dittoe to loganberry's last quote.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Do Work

ive just always been happy with JL. Starting to think the G4500 amp isnt going to be enough. The 10W3 is 300w RMS, but the G4500 will only provide 250w RMS if I am using 2 of the channels bridged. Correct?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, when wired at four ohms.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Mitch

Originally Posted by loganberry
are you wanting jl just because they are all you have tried? there is much better out there for half if not a quarter of the price
Can you please post something that will back this up?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by wmitch927
A little light reading: www.diyma.com
Old 02-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wmitch927

ill be more than happy to reccomend some stuff to you that will be 10x better than jl and 10x less, not in his thread though, it would be very off topic and just clutter it up. Pm me if you like
Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by loganberry
ill be more than happy to reccomend some stuff to you that will be 10x better than jl and 10x less, not in his thread though, it would be very off topic and just clutter it up. Pm me if you like
10x better and 10x less sounds like a five finger discount to me. JL subs sound great and they don't cost that much. Check out sonicelectronix they have 10w3's for $149.

Quick Reply: Got it narrowed down...AUDIO GURUS HELP!!