Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Good news for us '11 and beyond Sony 8" owners who want to bypass the Sony amp!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:37 AM
yep

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Good news for us '11 and beyond Sony 8" owners who want to bypass the Sony amp!

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/news/....aspx?id=14469

Looks like we can expect it to be out sometime this month, but more than likely next month or two.

I have one on order at a couple of places... I'm currently running a Mosconi 6to8 after the sony amp with mostly decent results, but obviously you are still limited. This should solve all of our problems.

Keep in mind it can't just be purchased off the shelf and installed, it needs to be flashed with the proper firmware that corresponds with your vehicle.

I'm a bit sad that I'll have to drop my Mosconi as it's kind of the best at what it does, but maybe I can just output a flat signal to the mosconi and do all the tuning there.

I'm extremely excited about this, as I'm huge on retaining factory everything so I can now dump an infinite amount of money into my stereo without diminishing returns.

The second I have one in my possession and some time playing with it, I'll update for you guys here.
The following users liked this post:
karl4cat (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

This is definitely cool!
Old 01-02-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Yes that was announced here a while back but it is still cool!
Old 01-02-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad I joined here! Great find... You guys are miles ahead of the SD forums in the audio dept.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Why not pick off the signal pre-Amp and feed the Mosconi? That's what I plan to do.
I've never had luck with any RF DSP. I replaced a 6to8v8 in one truck just to try a 3Sixty.3...huge mistake. Reinstalled the Mosconi within a week.
My new F150 will be my new competition vehicle...I look forward to tearing into it. My plan is to recreate my 2014/15 competition system except use the OEM head instead of my Clarion DRZ9255. Everything downstream will be Mosconi and Illusion. Really hoping to cram my C8's in the door but time will tell.
At any rate, get the wiring diagrams and you'll be able to find the signal pre amplifier.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Pre-amp is encoded CAN BUS signal no?
Old 01-04-2017, 09:04 AM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Maybe? I haven't looked at the F150 wiring schematics yet. In my 15 F250 you can pick it up pre amp.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:15 AM
yep

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
Why not pick off the signal pre-Amp and feed the Mosconi? That's what I plan to do.
I've never had luck with any RF DSP. I replaced a 6to8v8 in one truck just to try a 3Sixty.3...huge mistake. Reinstalled the Mosconi within a week.
My new F150 will be my new competition vehicle...I look forward to tearing into it. My plan is to recreate my 2014/15 competition system except use the OEM head instead of my Clarion DRZ9255. Everything downstream will be Mosconi and Illusion. Really hoping to cram my C8's in the door but time will tell.
At any rate, get the wiring diagrams and you'll be able to find the signal pre amplifier.
That was not possible as the signal going to the amp is digital. There is no analog signal to tap in to, that's why this DSP is such a big deal and that's why it needs to be flashed with vehicle specific firmware so it can interpret the digital signal going to the amp.

There's actually a really good thread on SMD forums as well as DIYMobileAudio about a guy who basically went through hell and high water trying to interpret the signal pre-amp without success.

Keep in mind, I'm speaking only from Sony equipped ford's, but yeah - it can't be done without this hardware. I'm not a fan of RF DSP's, especially since I'm currently rocking a Mosconi 6to8, but I might try it raw and see how it is, then see about going flat out from the RF DSP to the Mosconi.

Having an undistorted signal is going to be great, though.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Has anyone ever tried to take apart the stock amp and modify it for a power increase? Maybe the cost and risk isn't worth it? I heard of people doing it years ago to factory amps to get a 15% increase in power. Every little bit helps, but maybe these are completely not worth trying on....
Old 01-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Gremlin85
Has anyone ever tried to take apart the stock amp and modify it for a power increase? Maybe the cost and risk isn't worth it? I heard of people doing it years ago to factory amps to get a 15% increase in power. Every little bit helps, but maybe these are completely not worth trying on....
IMO not worth the hassle to try.