Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Finishing Audio setup, need clarification

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Ski Bum

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Finishing Audio setup, need clarification

Hi guys, relative audio n00b here. I have already installed a Kicker amp and Sub along with the PAC RCA Adapter. My mistake was not running a second set of RCA's for the future amp to power my speakers, so now the dash comes apart again. ****My goal is to get a Kicker 11DX300.2 amp to power a Rockford Fosgate Punch P165-S 6-1/2" component speaker system for my front doors, and to replace rear doors with Rockford Fosgate Punch P1683 6"x8" 3-way car speakers (powered by stock HU). I already used the "rear" RCA's on the PAC adapter for the sub amp, and only have one pair left which is the "front" on the adapter. I read somewhere that the crossover for the high/low signal was in the factory HU and that even with the adapter if I run an amp off of the "Front" RCAs on the adapter that it will make my system sound awful. Is this true? or am I safe running this planned setup of mine?

*only reason I'm going with these brands is A. I've read many good reviews, and B. I can get them for a great total price. Any other brand input is welcomed.

**I figure going with a 50-60w RMS amp for the speakers will be plenty as my sub is only pushing 250ish RMS and I dont want to drown it out, looking for a clean sound here, not the loudest mess I can make.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:49 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RubberDuckie
Hi guys, relative audio n00b here. I have already installed a Kicker amp and Sub along with the PAC RCA Adapter. My mistake was not running a second set of RCA's for the future amp to power my speakers, so now the dash comes apart again. ****My goal is to get a Kicker 11DX300.2 amp to power a Rockford Fosgate Punch P165-S 6-1/2" component speaker system for my front doors, and to replace rear doors with Rockford Fosgate Punch P1683 6"x8" 3-way car speakers (powered by stock HU). I already used the "rear" RCA's on the PAC adapter for the sub amp, and only have one pair left which is the "front" on the adapter. I read somewhere that the crossover for the high/low signal was in the factory HU and that even with the adapter if I run an amp off of the "Front" RCAs on the adapter that it will make my system sound awful. Is this true? or am I safe running this planned setup of mine?

*only reason I'm going with these brands is A. I've read many good reviews, and B. I can get them for a great total price. Any other brand input get the is welcomed.

**I figure going with a 50-60w RMS amp for the speakers will be plenty as my sub is only pushing 250ish RMS and I dont want to drown it out, looking for a clean sound here, not the loudest mess I can make.
Only the audiophile units are crossed over in the head unit. From the sounds of it you'll be fine.

Remember the more power the amp on your doors puts out, the less you'll have to turn up the head unit volume **** to get the same output. The stock head unit will start clipping at around 2/3 volume or so. You should match up your desired output with your gain *****.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:50 AM
Ski Bum

Originally Posted by GATORB8
Only the audiophile units are crossed over in the head unit. From the sounds of it you'll be fine.

Remember the more power the amp on your doors puts out, the less you'll have to turn up the head unit volume **** to get the same output. The stock head unit will start clipping at around 2/3 volume or so. You should match up your desired output with your gain *****.
Thats good information to know, thanks.

**I suppose I should also clarify that I plan on running new wire from the amp to the speakers, not using the factory wiring. Or is that generally assumed when putting an amp to speakers??
Old 08-16-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Thats good information to know, thanks.

**I suppose I should also clarify that I plan on running new wire from the amp to the speakers, not using the factory wiring. Or is that generally assumed when putting an amp to speakers??
You can reuse the factory wiring if you'd like. Shouldn't have an audible power difference until well over 100w rms per channel.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:50 AM
Ski Bum

How would I go about reusing the factory wiring? Sorry for the dumb questions but I've never messed witha speaker amp before, just subs
Old 08-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

How would I go about reusing the factory wiring? Sorry for the dumb questions but I've never messed witha speaker amp before, just subs
You can cut the speaker wires on the PAC and connect the wires from your amp to them

Quick Reply: Finishing Audio setup, need clarification