Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Factory tweeter wiring help Sony/Nav/700w....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Factory tweeter wiring help Sony/Nav/700w....

I'm in the middle of an install here and according to the drawings the factory amp sends wires independently to the factory tweeters.

Need to know whether to rewire them to my amp via my door speakers or leave them as is. Not sure if there is a high cap on them or if something would have to be added if I do wire them inline with the door speakers...

Let me knowwwww! Thanks
Old 10-20-2014, 03:29 PM
International man of Myst

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Let's back up a few steps before answering your question: What are you intending to do truck?

No, there is no capacitor on the tweeters because the sony amp and/or headunit has a crossover built in. Wiring them in parallel with your door speakers would most likely require a crossover.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by LastResort
Let's back up a few steps before answering your question: What are you intending to do truck?

No, there is no capacitor on the tweeters because the sony amp and/or headunit has a crossover built in. Wiring them in parallel with your door speakers would most likely require a crossover.
What I'm doing is running a 4 channel amp to the doors via the factory wires, which I thought would be easy enough but now I don't want to neglect the tweeters if there's something I could do with them. There's an LC7i involved in this but don't want to increase the confusion level.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by UrbnRzqr
What I'm doing is running a 4 channel amp to the doors via the factory wires, which I thought would be easy enough but now I don't want to neglect the tweeters if there's something I could do with them. There's an LC7i involved in this but don't want to increase the confusion level.
I think you need to spell this out more, rather than worrying about confusion and leaving out critical information when asking for help. "running a 4 channel amp to the doors" could mean a lot of things, and I have to guess at what you're doing to answer your question. Which leads to incorrect answers. Below are some of the questions in my head that greatly influence the answer.
  1. Are you bi-amping the front components with the 4 channel? Or are you planning on running all 4 doors on the one amplifier?
  2. Do you have a crossover on the amplifier? If not, do you have an external crossover?
  3. Are you considering a DSP?
  4. Are you planning on using the signal summing feature on the LC7i
  5. Why are you amplifying the OEM speakers?
Old 10-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Gimpy

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

When I first put the tweeters in I just hooked them up to the factory Sony amp wires. Sounded ok. I now ran wires from my crossovers and it sounds a lot better. I will be bi amping in the near future but they sound better from the crossovers.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:26 PM

I think you need to spell this out more, rather than worrying about confusion and leaving out critical information when asking for help. "running a 4 channel amp to the doors" could mean a lot of things, and I have to guess at what you're doing to answer your question. Which leads to incorrect answers. Below are some of the questions in my head that greatly influence the answer.
  1. Are you bi-amping the front components with the 4 channel? Or are you planning on running all 4 doors on the one amplifier?
  2. Do you have a crossover on the amplifier? If not, do you have an external crossover?
  3. Are you considering a DSP?
  4. Are you planning on using the signal summing feature on the LC7i
  5. Why are you amplifying the OEM speakers?
1. Hey Lastresort all 4 doors will be run on an amp.
2. The amp has built in crossovers and HP AND LP filters.
3. No DsP .
4. I will be using the summing feature.
5. I've purchased 4 door speakers.

I may have mentioned this but I'm using the factory wiring to the doors.

Would it be possible to combine the amplified front speaker wires to the doors with the factory tweeters. I would obviously want some midrange freq going to the front from the amp so combining the two may not work.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

If you are summing then run the new tweeters off the new front speaker crossovers
Old 10-20-2014, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
If you are summing then run the new tweeters off the new front speaker crossovers
Hey Wyo. There actually the factory tweeters, do you mean off the crossed over frequency from the amp or do the new 6x8's have a high pass filter of some sort going to the built in tweeter...
Old 10-20-2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by UrbnRzqr
1. Hey Lastresort all 4 doors will be run on an amp.
2. The amp has built in crossovers and HP AND LP filters.
3. No DsP .
4. I will be using the summing feature.
5. I've purchased 4 door speakers.

I may have mentioned this but I'm using the factory wiring to the doors.

Would it be possible to combine the amplified front speaker wires to the doors with the factory tweeters. I would obviously want some midrange freq going to the front from the amp so combining the two may not work.
This makes much more sense now. Are the speakers you purchased coaxials, or component speakers for the fronts?
Old 10-20-2014, 07:25 PM

This makes much more sense now. Are the speakers you purchased coaxials, or component speakers for the fronts?
There coaxial 6x8, well if that means there's a tweeter built in!

Quick Reply: Factory tweeter wiring help Sony/Nav/700w....