Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Factory Speaker Wiring

Old 10-24-2017, 12:07 AM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Default Factory Speaker Wiring

I know this is an age old debate but I figured it would be worth asking in this specific forum. What are your thoughts on using the factory speaker wire from my 16 to power the new speakers. I’ll be running a Morel MPS 4.400 and Morel tempo ultras for the mids and highs. I don’t want to have to deal with the molex plugs.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think I would worry about it with that amp.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
I know this is an age old debate but I figured it would be worth asking in this specific forum. What are your thoughts on using the factory speaker wire from my 16 to power the new speakers. I €™ll be running a Morel MPS 4.400 and Morel tempo ultras for the mids and highs. I don €™t want to have to deal with the molex plugs.
This is the exact question I'm struggling with right now as well. I'll be running an active front with 85w per channel. I'll definitely have to run new wire for the tweeters, which will be mounted in the A-pillars to replace the stock. I would REALLY like to have new wire run to the doors, but I'm feeling like it's not something I want to tackle.

So I guess I'll just splice into existing and use what's there. It'll be much easier, but the perfectionist in me wants new wire!
Old 10-24-2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by JKoop
This is the exact question I'm struggling with right now as well. I'll be running an active front with 85w per channel. I'll definitely have to run new wire for the tweeters, which will be mounted in the A-pillars to replace the stock. I would REALLY like to have new wire run to the doors, but I'm feeling like it's not something I want to tackle.

So I guess I'll just splice into existing and use what's there. It'll be much easier, but the perfectionist in me wants new wire!
I feel the same way, and with the DSR1 I literally don’t have to splice anything but in my mind I feel like I need to run new wire because I want it perfect but I don’t think I want to tackle it, specifically the front doors.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You could also do what I did. Pay someone 30 - 50 bucks to run wire through the molex for you.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tjcaustin
You could also do what I did. Pay someone 30 - 50 bucks to run wire through the molex for you.
I've considered that as well. I may call a couple install shops and see what they charge.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by tjcaustin
If I’m gonna do it, I’ll do it myself. I had a bad experience with a shop a couple years ago. It’s not that I don’t want to do it, it’s just the with the DSR1 Sony replacement and the Maestro T harness, they literally provide the plug with labeled wires where you connect it straight to the output of your amp and crossovers and plug it straight into the ford speaker output harness thus eliminating any splicing on the factory harness. It’s literally plug and play. The only reason I considered running new wires was to prevent any loss in SQ. If the factory wire gauge can handle 70 wats a channel, then I don’t need to upgrade. That’s what I’m trying to figure out.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:23 PM

Location: Between the dark side of the moon and Knottinghamshire
Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts

I debated running new speaker wire from my amp also. Mulled it over and talked to the installer that did my amp/DSP. Still running stock speaker wire with 85 watts going to the doors. Sounds good, and works. Can't see running new wire unless it was for some serious wattage and mega buck speakers.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Stock speaker wire will handle almost anything you can throw at it. It’s really not worth the trouble to install all new wire.

Simply put, copper conductor is copper conductor. Having a fancy name printed on it doesn’t make any difference, and most stereo systems don’t have anywhere near the current flow to require thicker gauge wire than factory provides.

If you were going over 1000 watts RMS or spending over $1000 for speakers it may be worth the money just as a cheap insurance. But even in extreme builds the factory wire would probably still work.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Trailbreak74
Stock speaker wire will handle almost anything you can throw at it. It’s really not worth the trouble to install all new wire.

Simply put, copper conductor is copper conductor. Having a fancy name printed on it doesn’t make any difference, and most stereo systems don’t have anywhere near the current flow to require thicker gauge wire than factory provides.

If you were going over 1000 watts RMS or spending over $1000 for speakers it may be worth the money just as a cheap insurance. But even in extreme builds the factory wire would probably still work.
I've made my decision. I'm gonna stick with the factory wiring.

Search this Thread