Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Factory Kicker sub..need help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Factory Kicker sub..need help please

I just installed the Ford Kicker Sub (Ford part no. VGL3Z-18808-A) in a 2016 Supercab XL with the 101A package. Truck was prewired. Should be a simple plug and play installation. Used Forscan to enable. Used the Kicker sub and the 6 speaker option. Go to turn on radio and I got nothing from the sub. Double check my Forscan settings and it looks good. I checked the wiring.
I have 12 volts at the red wire.
A good ground at the heavy black.
6 volts at the purple. (remote turn on?)
That leaves the white and small black wire. I'm sure these are the signal wires.
Seems like I have no signal. Verified this by using a jumper wire from the rear speaker to the sub amp. Lo and behold it works. But the sub is tying to play everything not just the lows.
Anybody have a problem with the signal to the sub?
Is it a bad ACM? Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-09-2016, 12:13 AM

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr>corvette
I just installed the Ford Kicker Sub (Ford part no. VGL3Z-18808-A) in a 2016 Supercab XL with the 101A package. Truck was prewired. Should be a simple plug and play installation. Used Forscan to enable. Used the Kicker sub and the 6 speaker option. Go to turn on radio and I got nothing from the sub. Double check my Forscan settings and it looks good. I checked the wiring.
That leaves the white and small black wire. I'm sure these are the signal wires.
Seems like I have no signal. Verified this by using a jumper wire from the rear speaker to the sub amp. Lo and behold it works. But the sub is tying to play everything not just the lows.
There's a second setting in forscan to enable auxiliary subwoofer: maybe try that along with or instead of the 6 speaker w sub setting? Hope you get it working
Old 11-09-2016, 12:52 AM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Maybe you have a Bad Kicker Substage? As OP mentioned, try selecting 6 Speakers W/Aux Sub, via Forscan!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you find the solution to your issue? I've got the same problem at the moment. Everything is installed and enabled in forscan and i've got no sound.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:51 PM

Never found the solution. I ended up using another amp that uses speaker level input. I used the rear speakers for this input.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Glad you got it working.

The purple wire in the OEM plug is the (+) signal wire. There should be a small green wire that is (-) signal. And the small brown wire is remote.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never found the solution. I ended up using another amp that uses speaker level input. I used the rear speakers for this input.
Happen to have a picture of what you did?
Old 09-04-2017, 03:33 PM

I realize this is an old thread but maybe someone searching will find this helpful.
The factory sub did not work with my 2016 XL. Even after enabling with Forscan. I guess this radio does not support this feature. I traded the 16 for a 17 XL withe the same radio but with the Sirius option. Reinstalled the sub and it works! Maybe something different with the 17 radio?
Old 01-23-2018, 07:01 PM

I have a 2017 supercab touchscreen sync 3. I installed kicker vgl3z 18808 a. Turned on subwoofer and supercab 6 speaker with kicker sound through my ids. Have 12v power. Good ground and 6v remote signal. No ac voltage between two signals. Apply signal and same issues. Try’s to play all sound levels and sounds like garbage.
All circuits good so my ford workshop manual instructs to replace the audio control module. Has anyone found this to resolve their issue. Acm is a week out and can’t believe I have a bad one with 1000 miles on truck.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:30 PM

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Grochowski
I have a 2017 supercab touchscreen sync 3. I installed kicker vgl3z 18808 a. Turned on subwoofer and supercab 6 speaker with kicker sound through my ids. Have 12v power. Good ground and 6v remote signal. No ac voltage between two signals. Apply signal and same issues. Try’s to play all sound levels and sounds like garbage.
All circuits good so my ford workshop manual instructs to replace the audio control module. Has anyone found this to resolve their issue. Acm is a week out and can’t believe I have a bad one with 1000 miles on truck.
That is weird, does your radio has Sirrius XM? My understanding is that for the kicker to work the ACM needs to support Sirius XM (Mid level audio package)