Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Factory HU w/Rockford Fosgate Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory HU w/Rockford Fosgate Speaker

2013 F150 Lariat, Touch screen head unit w/basic audio (not the sony)

Heres my question, would it do me any good to change out my door speakers to Rockford Fosgate component speakers without getting an amp and just using the power of the HU?

Would it be any better? Or simply not enough coming from factory HU to make it worth doing?

My audio installer stated in order to "do it right" I would need an amp and that would require him to buy an "8 volt" something to eliminate static noise. He said using an amp for the door speakers would require that piece. Im not audio savvy so i'm hoping that 8 volt piece (which is 120.00 apparently) is really necessary.

But any chance the RF components would be much of an upgrade WITHOUT an amp?
Old 07-27-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by bp4life71
2013 F150 Lariat, Touch screen head unit w/basic audio (not the sony)

Heres my question, would it do me any good to change out my door speakers to Rockford Fosgate component speakers without getting an amp and just using the power of the HU?

Would it be any better? Or simply not enough coming from factory HU to make it worth doing?

My audio installer stated in order to "do it right" I would need an amp and that would require him to buy an "8 volt" something to eliminate static noise. He said using an amp for the door speakers would require that piece. Im not audio savvy so i'm hoping that 8 volt piece (which is 120.00 apparently) is really necessary.

But any chance the RF components would be much of an upgrade WITHOUT an amp?
It is always advised to upgrade the door speakers. Going with the highest efficiency with get you more sound with less power. I would do it first and then add an amp later if you think it is needed. I have no idea what 8 volt peice he is talking about. Try and get a part number
Old 07-31-2014, 08:14 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

What Wyo said. I installed Polk speakers and powered from the factory HU for about a year. Made a big difference. I later added a sub and used this setup for another year. I have since gone to an aftermarket HU.

Quick Reply: Factory HU w/Rockford Fosgate Speaker