Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Factory Head Unit clipping, experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Factory Head Unit clipping, experiences?

Hey,
so i have some Type R's and a 4 Channel amp in my 2013 XLT, with the base stereo, and after some messing around today i seem to have discovered the reason behind some massive clipping i was getting in my tweeters... the factory deck.

Anyone else experience that? i find that around 50% volume it starts to clip, boosted the Gain on my amp, and only using the first 50% of my factory volume has helped loads, just seeing if im the only one? and if anyone has some solutions that may help remedy this inconvenience...

Thanks in advance!
Largen~
Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Largen
Hey,
so i have some Type R's and a 4 Channel amp in my 2013 XLT, with the base stereo, and after some messing around today i seem to have discovered the reason behind some massive clipping i was getting in my tweeters... the factory deck.

Anyone else experience that? i find that around 50% volume it starts to clip, boosted the Gain on my amp, and only using the first 50% of my factory volume has helped loads, just seeing if im the only one? and if anyone has some solutions that may help remedy this inconvenience...

Thanks in advance!
Largen~
are you using high or low level inputs into the amp?
Old 06-14-2013, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
are you using high or low level inputs into the amp?
I'm using a high level PAC module, to RCA to my Amp. I'm really thinking I'm just going to put my Pioneer double Din in..
Old 06-14-2013, 03:31 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Burn the stock headunit, we'll light a fire and use the stock unit as kindling
The following users liked this post:
SHORTSTACK (09-02-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

This is why I always suggest to replace the stereo as the first step to improving your sound. It is the source of your sound. Even an amplifier can only amplify the amount of power it has to work with.

The crappy thing about doing this is that you will lose some of the cool stufftthat your truck came with. When I replaced my factory radio I had to do a lot of research on how to keep all the cool stuff. I wound up making my own adapter to have an aftermarket hu, an amp, and sync. Wouldn't you know it, now PAC audio makes one.

A good place to research this kind of thing is diyaudio forum.

Last edited by PondJumper; 06-14-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:05 PM

[MENTION=65362]PondJumper[/MENTION]: that was the main reason I was trying to keep it at first, because I had spoken with some installers around town to see if I could keep my sync system, and they said it didn't really work. After getting mad at the poor sound quality I did my own reasearch and have found that I can retain it, so now I just need to spend a bunch more money ( was hoping not too, but the sound is worth it to me) to instal a pioneer head unit I ha e lying around with phenomenal sound quality, no more of these stupid high level converters which I think are causing some problems too. I had hoped the factory head unit was at least decent, but boy have I been proven wrong.
[MENTION=22615]Karl[/MENTION]: LOL can we burn yours too? I'm sure you kept it
Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The factory unit will lower an equalizer curve on the highs and lows at higher volume.
It will not produce clipping.

Your amp amp is trying to produce more than it can, ether by receiving to much of an input (gain) or not getting enough power (volts).
What gauge power wire did you use in your install, you could have a weak ground.
The Pac Frd24(?) has gains that can be set on it.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Windup
The factory unit will lower an equalizer curve on the highs and lows at higher volume.
It will not produce clipping.

Your amp amp is trying to produce more than it can, ether by receiving to much of an input (gain) or not getting enough power (volts).
What gauge power wire did you use in your install, you could have a weak ground.
The Pac Frd24(?) has gains that can be set on it.
I'm using a 4 Gauge power wire/ground for my amp, it's also the same amp that was powering my speakers in my last vehicle. I eliminated the amp by boosting the gain, and reducing the volume on the deck, also I do not have the Frd24 but a similar module, and have adjusted it as well.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Largen
I'm using a 4 Gauge power wire/ground for my amp, it's also the same amp that was powering my speakers in my last vehicle. I eliminated the amp by boosting the gain, and reducing the volume on the deck, also I do not have the Frd24 but a similar module, and have adjusted it as well.
What similar module?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:31 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab

What similar module?
A PAC module from a honda civic, with the plugs cut off

Quick Reply: Factory Head Unit clipping, experiences?