Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

factory amp/sub 2004 f-150 crew

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory amp/sub 2004 f-150 crew

I know this might be an old topic but still is giving me problem right now.

I'm in the process of installing the factor amp/sub in to my truck. Everything is wired up and in the truck. I'm 99.999% sure everything is wired correctly. Double checked everything and followed the factory wiring diagrams to a T. The problem is that every time I plug the sub wiring harness into the amp I blow the fuse. My 100% sure that none of the wires are grounding out anywhere else in the truck because the fuse doesn't go till it gets plugged in.

My question is does anyone have a close up picture of the factory sub connecter that plugs in to the OEM amp? I have read a lot of threads that write out the wiring pattern of how the wires run from the head unit to the amp connector. I even have copies of the sub wiring diagram from the factory. The reason I ask is that every picture that I can dig up on threads are not close enough to make out all the wires but only look like there's only 4 or 5 wires running into the connector where I have all but 2 terminals in the 10 point connector used.

So if anyone has any close up pictures of the amp/sub connector or any suggestion in helping me fix the problem that would be great.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:50 PM

Buzz,

First, I am no expert, but I did just successfully finish doing the same thing as you are attempting to do (I have an '07 Supercrew) . I hooked everything up and it worked perfect! I don't have any pics of the sub connector (but I am sure I could take some this weekend). When I wired mine, I used the diagrams from Alldata.

On the sub connector, there are 10 pins, but only 5 of them are used as per the Alldata diagram. I will PM you the Alldata diagram for the sub plug. The only difference I noted from that diagram is that the ground wire is actually 14AWG, not 16.

If you need, I can try to take some pics and send them to you this weekend.

Brandon
Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Not sure the PM went through so here is the diagram.
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2009, 05:58 PM

Thats kind of interesting because the diagram that I have been going off of from Ford them selves says that all terminal in the connector get used. ?? I'm going to see if by changing up the wiring locations will fix my issue.
Attached Files
Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Hopefully you just have too many wires connected. I would need to see the rest of the diagram to see where everything is running. Here is the whole system diagram that I used. I only referred to the top part as I don't have DVD or Navigation. The CXXX numbers are connectors (sorry if you already knew that).

C290C is the plug behind the HU
C3020 is the subwoofer plug
C270M is the plug behind the fuse box on the passgener side
C238 is the main truck wire harness (which I bypassed)

I hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 AM

So I had some time this weekend to look at the wiring. I in fact had two wires in the wrong spots. I tested the circuits in the amp to make sure nothing was harmed my my mix up and everything thing looked good with the volt meter. I also took away one of each of the ground and constant powers like you suggested. I replaced the fuse and plug the amp in.

It still popped the fuse. I tested the constant power wire for volt age and its running 12 volt which I'm Pretty sure it should be. I also test the wiring harness for continuity which it has. So I'm pretty much stumped right now.

I took a second look at your wiring diagram and I noticed that the constant power and ground wires are indicated to be 14 gaged. I did not no that before I ran my wires, I used a 16 gage for the constant power and ground wires. Can this be the problem? That the ground is not big enough? Can a degree in gaging make that much of a difference? I could see that I would if I ran the wires with 22 gage or something much smaller.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this thread is kind of old but I have a quick question.
Are the sub- and sub+ high or low input?
Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by F150Lasso
I know this thread is kind of old but I have a quick question.
Are the sub- and sub+ high or low input?
Thanks
Low
Old 07-01-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks,
One more question. Is the low pass filter in the amp, head unit or in the sub box?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by F150Lasso
Thanks,
One more question. Is the low pass filter in the amp, head unit or in the sub box?
Head unit, around 80 Hz

Quick Reply: factory amp/sub 2004 f-150 crew