Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Dynamat and a couple other questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Dynamat and a couple other questions

I have asked this question in a few existing threads but those existing thread topics seem to relegate this one to the scrap heap. What I am trying to find out is, if I take my current door speakers out and replace them with something like the Kenwood Excelon KFC-X683C 6x8 - how much of a improvement do I get. I don't have the Sony 700, I have the "6 CD premium system" - so what is that? Not really interested in replacing the HU now so I suppose my choices are limited.

Also, I will buy some Dynamat and insulate my doors. So what thickness do you buy and what length/width do I need to do 4 doors with? I'm not looking for audiophile quality, just aging rock & roll enthusiast!

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2017, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my factory speakers with Kenwood speakers (3 way) and didn't notice much of a difference. A little better high frequency response, and a little less distortion but without an Amp or a better HU, it lacks the unmp that is needed to drive the speakers properly. Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:16 AM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

If you're just gonna drop in some aftermarket speakers without upgrading anything else, you probably wont notice a huge difference. The stock speakers are crap but the stock head unit is EQ'd to make those cheap speakers sound decent, usually with a lot of bass because most people associate good sound with good bass.

Your results will depend on how good an aftermarket speaker you get. Get some $50 replacements and you wont notice any difference. Get some high end components, and even with the stock head unit, youll notice a difference. You will notice less bass most likely because the stock speakers are built to deliver decent low end response for the reason I listed above at the expense of mids and highs. So yeah, youll lose some low end but the mids and highs will be a lot better.

As for Dynamat, you can never have enough of it (or whatever comparable product you use). I'm in the minority as I prefer Dynamat over the others. Been using it a couple decades now and swear by it. It aint cheap though and there are cheaper alternatives that still perform great.

Don't worry about thickness cause they only come in one thickness. As for how much, as much as you can afford. Golden rule about dampening - you can never have enough of it. When I put a system in my car, I use a Dynamat door kit per door. I layer the outer panel and both sides of the inner panel where the speaker mounts. I even layer the door skin too.

If you're using 6x9's then get you a set of Fast Rings for $30. They fit around the speaker and press up against the door skin which keeps the sound from the speaker from resonating around inside your door panel. The speaker sits a couple inches behind the door skin so you're hearing a lot of sound after its bounced around and echoed around inside the door panel.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys
It surprised me to hear that you would line the inside of the inner door panel as well - never thought about that but it makes sense.

As far as the factory HU, what exactly is it? Still a Sony or something else? I don't think I'll be replacing the HU soon but probably at some point I will and I'd like to be sure that whatever I replace it with is better than what's there now so knowing what it is will let compare specs.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by larry2c
It surprised me to hear that you would line the inside of the inner door panel as well - never thought about that but it makes sense.

As far as the factory HU, what exactly is it? Still a Sony or something else? I don't think I'll be replacing the HU soon but probably at some point I will and I'd like to be sure that whatever I replace it with is better than what's there now so knowing what it is will let compare specs.
Premium sound is non Sony but with a factory sub.?
Old 01-28-2017, 03:49 PM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by larry2c

You don't have to line the inner panels with Dynamat its just that if you can afford it, it'll help especially if you move up to higher powered speakers. At the minimum, get a Dynamat Speaker Kit (or comparable brand) which is a pair of 10"x10" pieces that'll go around where the speaker mounts. The metal panel will vibrate along with the speaker and that can mess up the sound of them. Not to mention that the more rigid the panel is that the speaker is mounted to, the better bass response you'll get because the panel won't flex when the speaker is trying to move.

As for the deck, it's whomever Ford contracts with to build them for them. I wouldn't worry about the brand. Different brands don't sound different. They just have different features and such.