Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

drivers side rear speaker quit working

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 261 Likes on 163 Posts

Default drivers side rear speaker quit working

A few weeks ago, my drivers side rear speaker starting cutting in and out, then about 10 minutes later, stopped all together I noticed it cutting in and out as I was driving, but did not pay attention to correlate it with bumps in the road or any other outside influence. I did notice however that it was not working, and when I made a hard left turn, it started again. When I straightened out, it cut out again. That made me think the connection at the speaker had come loose. I just got the time to look at it this evening, and I'm stumped. Here is what I have:

Stock Head unit
PAC AOEM-FRD24
JL360/4 4 channel amp
Infinity Reference 6.5 components in front
Infinity reference 6x8 coax in rear
JL360/2 2 channel amp
Kicker 2 way electronic cross over
Infinity Reference 1060W sub

I pulled the speaker out and checked the connections at it. I soldered them when I installed them, and they are still good and soldered. I checked the speaker wire connection at the amp. I checked all of the RCA input connections. I pulled the head unit and checked the RCA connections at the PAC unit. I messed with the output levels on the PAC unit. I checked the all of the connections to the PAC unit, and to the truck. All connections were good, but the speaker still isnt working.

I swapped the RCA's from front to rear and rear to front, and the same rear drivers side speaker wasnt working, so that tells me that the problem lies somewhere AFTER the input into the amp. It is either the speaker itself, or that particular channel on the amp. The only thing left to do that I can think of is to actually swap the connections at the amp for the speakers, and see what happens. Barring that, any other ideas of something to check? If I do that, and the speaker starts working, that tells me it is that particular channel on the amp. If it does not work, that tells me it is the speaker.

Last edited by bigred90gt; 05-14-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:35 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Plug the speaker into a different channel on the amp. So instead of channel 3 or whatever, put it on 4. If it still does it replace the speaker wire. Also check the tinsels on the speaker(actual wires under the speaker cone on the soft parts).
Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 AM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If your truck was made in Dearborn then you have molex connectors between your cab and doors. If so, try popping it off for that door and re-seating it. If that makes the sound come back you're going to have to bypass that molex connector.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Largefarva
If your truck was made in Dearborn then you have molex connectors between your cab and doors. If so, try popping it off for that door and re-seating it. If that makes the sound come back you're going to have to bypass that molex connector.
I don't have molex connectors or doors in the back. It I a regular cab and my truck was made in Kansas, so there are no molex in the doors either.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Robert8252
Plug the speaker into a different channel on the amp. So instead of channel 3 or whatever, put it on 4. If it still does it replace the speaker wire. Also check the tinsels on the speaker(actual wires under the speaker cone on the soft parts).
That is what I plan to try next, but it was getting dark out last night and I was tired of jacking with it. I am going to switch the outputs on the amp for channel 3 and 4 and see what happens.

I checked the little wires on the speaker itself, and they were fine.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert8252

Definitely try this, amp could have took a dump on one channel
Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 PM

Well, I figured out the problem. Apparently, my RCA to the rear channel was bad. When I was first messing with it, I swapped the RCA at the PAC and the same speaker wouldn't work. I made never thought the RCA would be bad, so I assumed it was the amp or speaker. I swapped the speaker wires on the rear channels, and the passenger speaker wasn't working. I put them back where they go, then started messing with the RCAs at the amp, and everywhere I put the rear left cable that speaker quit working. So, $20 and 20 minutes later, all is well again.

I know some people say they don't use rear speakers and you don't need them, and blah blah. To my ear, I need that rear fill. I just doesn't sound full without the rear speakers working. All is right in the world again.

Quick Reply: drivers side rear speaker quit working