Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

DIY subwoofer box in duha bin... lets the bashing begin...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:05 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default DIY subwoofer box in duha bin... lets the bashing begin...

Well, i didn't wanted to get rid of the Du-ha bin. I like to have things lock there.
I didnt wanted to pay for a subwoofer box without first trying something... so... i got some minimum materials for around $25 plus an old poly-fill walmart pillow and i made an small box that its actually the minimun specified... around .5 cubic feet inside the duha bin.... i know... plastic is not the best sub box... but im just looking just for a little more bass... and if i make a full box the space inside would had been around .3 cubic feet lets see... will reinstall in the truck in a moment.... i couldnt go higher in height so i had to imbed the sub... all wrong! Lets see how it sounds....

Last edited by picaflor; 04-18-2012 at 08:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rolangunslinger (09-24-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Creative solution. Not optimal obviously, but definitely creative.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

well, sound is not bad at all... i'm happy...
i have two amplifiers, one is four channel, set in HPF, connected to the pioneer speakers in the doors, and the other amplifier is a two channel, using only one of those for now for this sub, set in LPF. kind like i balanced it using a little bit of the gain, but i can also control each speaker individually from the head unit, so... i'm happy.
problem is going to be if i have a passenger in the back... that seat have massage now... (well, i can turn off the subwoofer from the headunit, so... i guess that will have to do it if that is the case).
Old 04-21-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you dont mind making it more permanent bond it to plastic with Duramix 4036 and glass the thing in to give it some rigidity. Also, bit pricey but worthwhile coat the inside with Cascade Audio VBX-1.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I never even knew these bins existed until now.
This is my next purchase for sure. But I plan to install dual 6" subs facing forward with a OSB backing plate to stiffen the plastic bin. I can then install the amp inside and should still have some room to put some of the stuff that is cluttering up the back seat and floorboard.

Last edited by rolangunslinger; 09-24-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by rolangunslinger
Wow, I never even knew these bins existed until now.
This is my next purchase for sure. But I plan to install dual 6" subs facing forward with a OSB backing plate to stiffen the plastic bin. I can then install the amp inside and should still have some room to put some of the stuff that is cluttering up the back seat and floorboard.
IMO - 1- 10" firing up is best size and performance. What this guy did looks good. Just stiffen it and seal it up.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Great idea! Looks like you get to keep both options with this set up. I am surprised noone already makes something like this. Are you going to continue to improve it with the suggestions from the thread or just leave it as is. How is the MDF sealed to the bin? Does the seat hold it down? Looks like foam tape on the edge of the MDF. Got a pic of it installed?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job. I think if someone wanted to take it a step further you could fiberglass the inside of that tub to have a fully sealed box.

But again, nice job on your sub box.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by samger2
Nice job. I think if someone wanted to take it a step further you could fiberglass the inside of that tub to have a fully sealed box.

But again, nice job on your sub box.
You mean like JOEBOOST said

Quick Reply: DIY subwoofer box in duha bin... lets the bashing begin...